BPL Community Profile

Jeff Hollis (hyperslug) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jeff Hollis hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Been backpacking for 30+ years and have 20+ years in the outdoor industry.
CityFayetteville
StateArkansas
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jeff Hollis

Showing 111 - 120 of 157 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Home Roasting
I have an iRoast2 and use Sweet Marias as well, one of the best resources for roasting on the internet and good source for green beans. No affiliation either! How do you do your coffee on the tr...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Via yeah-yeah
March 04, 2:55pm

Home Roasting
Just curios if anybody else on this forum roasts their own coffee? I have been doing it for awhile now and find it quite enjoying if not challenging. People say that fresh roasted is much better th...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Via yeah-yeah
March 04, 2:26pm

Re: Howabout silk shirts?
Petri, My silk underwear is somewhat see through and tight fitting and mosquitoes bite right through it. But if you found a silk shirt tightly woven and thick enough (loose fitting would be pref...

In GEAR » Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves
March 04, 11:35am

Re: Permethrin and washing
Sawyer claims 6 washings! I think Ex Officio claims 50 or so.

March 04, 11:26am

Re: permethrin
Correct! anybody seen my marbles?

March 03, 12:07pm

permethrin
It is actually an insecticide as in kills insects and not just repels them. It does not damage coatings etc like DEET. I have used it on screen portions of tents including doors and inside vestibul...

March 03, 10:48am

Re: Re: Suggest me some UL mosquito proof shirt with long sleeves on
I am all about the Permethin treated clothing. You can spray the lightest silk undergarment with the stuff and mosquitoes will leave you alone, except of course for the body parts sticking out.

March 03, 9:54am

Re: Re: which sleeping bag?
Good point, I guess it depends on how you sleep. Taking that out of the the equation I would say there are still advantages to the Ultralight.

In GEAR » which sleeping bag?
March 03, 7:00am

Side Block Baffle
Western Mountaineering has always offered side block baffles but only in their cold weather bags. Really cold weather bags have V side block and have as long as I can remember. I have never had ...

In GEAR » Baffled By Continuous Baffles
March 02, 7:26pm

Warmest?
I have no experience with either bag but if I had to bet my money it would be with the Ultralight. It has more down, a full collar, and a side zip. The top zip is right where heat rises and would b...

In GEAR » which sleeping bag?
March 02, 4:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Jeff Hollis

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Black Rock Gear Down Hat
I bought this hat a year ago and it goes on every backpacking trip and cold weather dog walks. My large weighs .9 oz. and warmer than anything close to that weight except maybe another down hat. I...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
December 31, 9:31am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
I have had this for a long time and it has seen at least 30+ nights on the trail. Have used it as sleep shelter and a place to hang out on trail or in camp when it is raining. THE GOOD! Price Wei...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 22, 10:49am

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
I have been using the similar RR Eco-Mesh for 10 years or more. Basically same shirt as the Adventure Shirt. It was suggested to me by the departed John O on his forum and he assured me that it was...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
January 20, 4:48pm

Marmot Essence
I own the original version which I believe came with Precip Plus which I think was supposed to be more breathable than regular Precip. I have owned it for about 4 years. It mostly stays in my pack...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 19, 5:19pm