Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Guest

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 111 - 120 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Ski Gear/Shovel
I have to agree with Roger. I would have gone with a waxless ski. Much, much simpler to use. Lighter too (you don't have to carry any waxes/scrapers etc). The Asnes ski model Andy has chosen...

In Gear Lists » Alaska-Yukon Expedition: 4,700 miles and 7 months; start in 4 weeks
February 18, 2:30pm

Re: Re: Thanks
Alastair, This one was a bit of a legend and might be perfect for your kind of trip. I'm not sure it's still in production though but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the ...

In GEAR » What is the biggest backpack?
February 18, 12:08pm

Re: large pack
Alastair, Seems like an awfully big pack! Andy Skurka managed an Iceland traverse with a GoLite Pinnacle: http://www.andrewskurka.com/IS08/index.php Although he didn't take a packraft ...

In GEAR » What is the biggest backpack?
February 18, 11:47am

Re: NeoAir Small
Ty, I'm just over 6' tall and use a small NeoAir. Never had any problems with the infamous 'drop-off' myth that some people perpetuate. When properly inflated the NeoAir is plush...

In GEAR » NeoAir - small
February 18, 7:49am

Re: 8oz pouch
Thanks Simon. PM me when they arrive.

In GEAR » Fuel pouch
February 13, 7:02am

Re: Rum Runner Flasks
Cheers Simon, very kind of you. It's the 8oz one I'm really interested in. I've been after a 250ml version of my Platypus soft bottle for weekend trips. I have a spare FireLite spout...

In GEAR » Fuel pouch
February 13, 6:43am

Re: Rum Runner Flasks
Anyone know if there is somewhere to buy them on this side of the Atlantic?

In GEAR » Fuel pouch
February 13, 6:06am

Re: Re: Re: Ultra-light Tripod redux
Cheers Beni & Roger! I've been using a wee Gorilla-pod but it's not quite good enough when I plan to take specific or lots of photos.

In Photography » Ultralight Tripod
February 11, 12:29pm

another option...
Just to throw another option in to the mix, I use OMM packs for bc skiing. The 35L Jirishanca (weighs between 675g and 1040g depending on what accessories you decide to carry): http://www.the...

In GEAR » Backcountry day snow packs that will carry skis, real shovel
February 11, 1:58am

Re: Re : Brynje
I wore mine for a week of ski touring under Rab Vapour-Rise. I can't believe how warm and dry I was. We had -25C on some days. I figure any 'synth-stink' was coming from the Vapour-R...

In GEAR » Brynje in the USA
February 10, 4:16pm

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am