Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt vs. snow-stuff in the Rockies. Started heavy in the mid-90's after a cpl attempts using 60's gear in the late 80's, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013.

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 111 - 120 of 1237 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...124

Forum » Thread

Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop (45 hrs vs 4 days)
Completed my dream trip in Colorado's Maroon Bells 4 pass loop north of Aspen CO taking approximately 2 days instead of the 4 for backpacking the loop thru. Intro picture of range: Route ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Maroon Bells 4 Pass Loop (45 hrs vs 4 days)
August 15, 10:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Pecos Wilderness in the Fall
John, your plan about Truchas and the Pecos is a classic small loop, though there's others out there (Windsor,etc.. are all good destinations too). The area north of Panchuelta got hit really ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pecos Wilderness in the Fall
August 11, 10:17pm

Re: Pecos Wilderness in the Fall
Been out a couple times. The burn is north of Jacks ck. / Panchuelta TH obliterating south facing slopes, but the trail crews did a great job just north of Jacks Ck. I also saw headlamps going u...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pecos Wilderness in the Fall
August 11, 4:42pm

Re: Re: SUL Thru-Hiking the Trans Catalina Trail
Great trip. Out there south of Two Harbors doing some fieldwork April '13 (staying in accommodations), we saw backpackers but wondered where they got their water ... mystery solved. Unique pl...

In Post-Trip Reports » SUL Thru-Hiking the Trans Catalina Trail
August 06, 10:01pm

Superstitions
Yeah, I enjoyed the canyon last December, so +1 on that. My only experience in the greater Phoenix area itself is the Superstitions specifically Reavis ranch, doing my two backpacks over 2 3-da...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Arizona in December - trip suggestions?
August 05, 9:40am

In use ...Re: Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Poncho (note, new 15D fabric)
I used it and as a shelter, it's a regular rectangular tarp with some guy outs for a flying diamond and lean-to. Experimenting, I found the dimensions are smallish for an A-frame trying to ge...

In GEAR » Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Poncho (note, new 15D fabric)
August 05, 7:10am

Up in smoke ...
There's actually more desert public lands, some being added this year but the mountain forests have been burnt by huge forest fires in the last few years. The natives used these cool forests s...

In Chaff » Forest Fire
August 03, 10:05am

Re: Re: Alone in the Wilderness. Movie.
A book and movie I need to put on my "to do" list, certainly. Travis wrote ... My girlfriend wants me to build her a cabin like that. Unfortunately, I had to break it to her that I...

In Philosophy & Technique » Alone in the Wilderness. Movie.
August 01, 10:01am

Pad with helium
I was using a Neoair (short) with a pack or pine needles for my feet, partially inflated. Think the Neoair compressed enough when I rolled that it was only a minor factor. A thin foam pad from Go...

In GEAR » Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
August 01, 7:54am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
Mike- we just had a thread on the helium mostly. I just finished using it and, if you can fit, it's alright. I used it for an impromptu trip to Point Reyes and surroundings next to the Pacif...

In GEAR » Anyone have any experience w/ OR's Helium bivy?
August 01, 7:33am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.