BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 111 - 120 of 1185 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...119

Forum » Thread

Re: sleeping, in the woods?
Sleeping in the city or town isn't a picnic either. Had my share of loud, rude people with kids or pets inside decent medium priced hotels or even hostels. Schizoids in the hallway reading b...

In Philosophy & Technique » People who don't enjoy camping
July 14, 8:41am

What shelter am I looking for?
Been on the trail (couple backpack trips) for awhile and trying Outdoor Research bug bivy/S2S poncho tarp ... and just plain WP/B bivy combos (had a couple other smaller shops wares but returned un...

In GEAR » What shelter am I looking for?
July 12, 12:24pm

Re: Re: How One High Sierra Trip Turned Into Permanent Nomadic Travel
Great story and would love to do something like this May thru Sept, maybe October in a normal ,non-drought year .... but begs the question about reintegrating back into the wonderful world of work ...

In Editor's Roundtable » How One High Sierra Trip Turned Into Permanent Nomadic Travel
July 12, 12:19pm

Re: Rodents attack tent!
Yes I've heard of it both when the tent was empty and when occupied. Maybe an irresistible scent in there?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Rodents attack tent!
July 09, 12:40pm

Re: Proposed Grand Canyon development
Ah, the smell of free enterprise in the morning. Smells like tourists with bags of chips, a Pepsi, and flip flops, ... traveling in 4 minutes what used to take adventurers a couple days of sweat. ...

In On the Web » Proposed Grand Canyon development
July 08, 3:46pm

Thanks
Thanks. Should have been clearer about nutritionally taking the place of oatmeal (mostly the cardio bennies) ... or some Frosted Flakes (they're grrrrrreat!) would suffice. Actually staying aw...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cold oatmeal replacement for quick breakfast
July 03, 4:41pm

Cold oatmeal replacement for quick breakfast
Sorry if covered already but on smartphone right now. What cereal is the best oatmeal replacement if not looking to heat up breakfast? Grape nuts" brand comes to mind but buying from bulk bi...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cold oatmeal replacement for quick breakfast
July 03, 9:52am

Re: Ultralight Furniture/Appliances?
Before ikea there was "campaign furniture" that was easy to move. Ed: bv

In GEAR » Ultralight Furniture/Appliances?
July 01, 6:05pm

Q
Q: The fire stopped just west of McKnight and there is hiking in the nearby Gila Wilderness using the forks for perennial water (though the very start of the forks are fire-damaged). The area pro...

In Post-Trip Reports » 24 Black Range NM McKnight to Mimbres bushwhack thru fire damage ... and a bear poo monument
June 30, 11:17pm

Campsite Rage Cures
Ear plugs plus long duration hippy music on the iPod. The last Neil Young song I downloaded was 27 minutes. If it helps, the same thing can happen even in decent hotels ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Campsite Rage Cure?
June 28, 8:40pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.