BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Goal here is more MPD in a UL, yet comfortable style iot experience scenic hikes without sweating buckets, but also crank out miles if needed for whatever. Mix with travel too. Not into snowy sagas or recreating a French Foreign Legion forced desert march .. but never say never.

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
Statethe West is the Best
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 111 - 120 of 984 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...99

Forum » Thread

Re: Superstition Wilderness questions for end of Feb bp trip
My only Superstitions experience is a couple late Jan on the northern side of the wilderness and not the southeast side you are looking at, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The northern ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Superstition Wilderness questions for end of Feb bp trip
January 27, 10:12am

Nike Tallac Zooms were the answer…
The original Nike Tallac Zooms were a very dark navy blue, almost black, reviewed on Backpacker several years back … but had GoreTex. They were discontinued. I've seen Nike Lunarglides in v...

In GEAR » Any footwear that is light, comfortable for lots of walking, tough, and looks stylish (ie, not technical looking)?
January 26, 7:11pm

Gorilla SOLD
Gorilla SOLD

In Gear Swap » Large ULAs, Gossamer Gear Gorilla
January 20, 9:15am

Potential for western drought 2014
Brought up on the other website as well (BP). Looks like an abnormally dry January except for Colorado right now, plus the ID/MT/WY border area and around Salt Lake City (here's hoping spring ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » CA Drought and 2014 hiking season
January 16, 8:34pm

Re: What is Capilene?
Capilene is polyester. What makes it different from any other polyester, beside the fact that it is a name registered by Patagonia? Capilene is a polyester baselayer chemically treated like...

In GEAR » What is Capilene?
January 10, 3:35pm

FS: 1 ULA Circuit left (large frame, mdm hipbelt)
** NOTE: Gossamer Gear and ULA Catalyst SOLD ** Packs for sale: Just whittling down my backpack harem especially before a move, … and it has come down to ULA vs Zimmerbuilt. Any questions fe...

In Gear Swap » Large ULAs, Gossamer Gear Gorilla
January 10, 2:11pm

iPad GPS app Re: pad to garmin?
A buddy of mine used a GPS app loaded into his iPad on my very remote "Apache Kid wilderness" trip (see Nov 2013 post trip reports) and think it was a Trimble iirc, maybe a garmin (vacat...

In GEAR » pad to garmin?
January 05, 1:29pm

Re: Where to go this summer?
For plain old backpacking, many (but not all) of the denizens of the desert go to higher forested mountains to avoid the heat. 2012 most everything was open and great thru the summer. Last year an...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Where to go this summer?
January 02, 2:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: NM packraft
Great adventure and way to get around the forest fire closures - met a few in the NM outdoors (mtbikers, ranch-hands, etc..) running into striking juvenile rattlers throughout the summer, so wouldn...

In Post-Trip Reports » Attempted packraft circumnav of Valles Caldera, NM
January 01, 8:57pm

Re: Spring break hiking extravaganza
The lower elevations of the Gila will be snow free in all likelihood. There are many stream crossings on the Middle Fork of the Gila tho. Not sure how your dog would react to swift stream crossing...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Spring break hiking extravaganza
December 31, 9:00pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.