Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Winter backpacking in the Sunbelt (just started 6 weeks off). Heavy gear in the mid-90's when I was young and stoopid, then went lightweight in the 00's, and finally down to UL in Dec 2013 over 15 yrs (older and er, ...)

I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 111 - 120 of 1265 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...127

Forum » Thread

Re: Dipping from the spring box
Many old-time desert backpackers bring a plastic jug with a handle, cutting a hole in the top for water to rush in (they use gallon size but no reason a quart wouldn't work). Finally tried it ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dipping from the spring box
September 02, 8:10pm

fkt - supported, unsupported, ...and thru-hike styles
On FKT, there's actually a "thru-hike style" in addition to supported and unsupported. http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29/pacific-crest-trail-ca-wa Whatever floats ...

In Philosophy & Technique » John Muir Trail speed records - a question of style
August 30, 8:53am

What's the big deal with bugs?
A number bite, both literally and figuratively. Those of us with quilts do not have hoods.

In GEAR » I don't get why people use bug bivies.
August 30, 6:31am

More permits for Grand Canyon R2R, groups
Saw this posted on the other site and while geared to trail runners (it is a running magazine), reading into it other users are affected too, especially nonprofits advertising group trips (who alre...

In On the Web » More permits for Grand Canyon R2R, groups
August 27, 5:22pm

Re: High Uintas
Surprisingly scenic country as I'm used to southern Utah and didn't figure the mountains of northern UT warranted much exploration. Thanks for the article.

In Editor's Roundtable » Trekking the High Uintas Wilderness: Circumnavigation of the Rock Creek Shelf
August 27, 4:29pm

Re: Traversing the Brooks Range – A Father-Son-Son Adventure
Definitely a great adventure with some obstacles overcome. Good that you were able to share it with your sons (or good that they were there to help dissuade the bear).

In Post-Trip Reports » Traversing the Brooks Range – A Father-Son-Son Adventure
August 27, 4:28pm

Zimmerbuilt roll top, daisy chains
Selling a 50 Liter Zimmerbuilt simple rucksack with roll-top, daisy chains on body (same issue - 17.5 torso height from shoulder to hipbelt connector has a little "wiggle room" but wasn&...

In Gear Swap » Zimmerbuilt roll top, daisy chains
August 27, 3:16pm

Hip belt (size, etc...)
Terrill The hip belt fits 38 with plenty of excess to spare, so if it fit my torso I'd have to cut the ends and seal. Also the hipbelt is a minimal design mostly 1 inch webbing with a bu...

In Gear Swap » Zimmerbuilt dk gray w lid
August 27, 3:06pm

Zimmerbuilt 50L-ish dk gray w lid
#PENDING AS OF 10/15 ## 55L-ish Zimmerbuilt FS Due to a size miscalculation on my end (nothing wrong with the quality of these packs - will have another lidless up shortly and sold the 3d), I a...

In Gear Swap » Zimmerbuilt dk gray w lid
August 27, 12:53pm

Re: Any feedback?
RJ's recent article on Editors roundtable on his trip to the Unitas has a little blurb (toward the very end) about the Alpine Houdini saving 2 oz. over the M10 and the breathability issue (just...

In GEAR » Alpine Houdini
August 27, 8:36am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.