BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 - US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from a govt type job working on the side. Here to hike more comfortably and maybe a bit furtherfaster while still stopping for scenery. Finished my 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one (both interchangeable).

Gear list was for 3 days but made it almost as a "24-hour" adventure (like 25 hours) using the Z-pack
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 111 - 120 of 1114 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...112

Forum » Thread

Gearswap is some sort of a barometer ...
Could be but also could be new stuff that didn't work out. There's also a seasonality. Some lightly used ULA packs that didn't quite fit me sold right before thru-hiking season ... I ...

In Chaff » The Gearswap is a barameter for the economy.
April 27, 10:38am

Re: Re: Fleece or Puffy
I have not worn down in the southern to central CA coastal areas as temps are relatively mild. A chilling breeze is likely during certain seasons, even San Diego beaches for Xmas -- and some cold ...

In Gear Lists » Western USA Gear List
April 24, 2:47pm

Fleece or Puffy
I was planning on bringing a lighter fleece like Patagonia's R1 but I got away with just a NanoPuff hoody last month on the coast. It was unusually warm, so I did not have to wear any insulati...

April 24, 2:25pm

A balanced view
BLM does sell or lease their land holdings all the time, .... if you live in the interior West, you know. The issue here is the very small fee for grazing on public land that he (Bundy) has let bu...

In Chaff » Bundy......A True American Hero?
April 24, 11:25am

Re: Western USA Gear List
The coast gets hit with storms but not sure you (assuming you aren't carrying for two) would need both the fleece hoody and puffy. Might need them both if you are in Salt Lake for Janurary tho...

April 24, 9:24am

Re: Re: Overthinking
I'd just go with the ports if you feel like there's a potential of using a hydration bladder.

In GEAR » Hydration port on a pack bag vs. running hose out the side of a roll top closure?
April 24, 9:13am

For old tyme cotton pickin' too it seems ..
A reporter got this quote from Bundy (registered Republican who is now giving daily new conferences), published yesterday: “I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” ... ...

In Chaff » Bundy......A True American Hero?
April 24, 8:41am

Re: An Introduction to Simple Fly Fishing
Neat except with some philosophy to boot. A fly-fishing buddy of mine mentioned cheap gear rom a discount retailer (yeah, that one) is how he started newbies (though he could afford a pretty expen...

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Simple Fly Fishing
April 23, 8:23pm

Learning curve
I prefer solo as it gives more options for regular old backpacking. My first solo attempt was in a drizzle, but a private landowner stopped letting hikers use a right of way. Returning in the dri...

In Philosophy & Technique » Irrational Solo Fear
April 23, 8:12pm

Re: 20-23 Days/Nights to Backpack...
If uncomfortable with pure desert, maybe the higher grasslands of New Mexico and perhaps lower altitude Colorado (see PMags post trip report)? Just look at trails with a perennial water supply an...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 20-23 Days/Nights to Backpack...
April 23, 2:12pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.