BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 111 - 120 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: "10 things not to buy for backpacking"
"Went on an 8 day backpacking trip once with my usual short roll of TP. Oops. Wound up having to ration the squares on a per-day basis. Worked out okay, but could have been a problem." ...

In GEAR » 10 things not to buy for backpacking
November 18, 1:55pm

Re: Sony NEX Lens Impressions
Hi Dirk, I spent more time with the Nikon and some competing cameras yesterday. I don't know exactly what it is about the little V1 that grabs me, so I'll go with "synergy"--th...

In Photography » Sony NEX Lens Impressions
November 14, 10:52am

Thanks Chris. I'm an accidental sports photog, finding it more interesting than loitering on the sideline for an hour a week. Once I attempted it I quickly found how tough it is--impossible rea...

November 14, 10:12am

Hi Chris, I agree, and tend to shoot RAW for more "contemplative" pursuits. Had to become more comfortable with RAW processing first, and the software today seems much more powerful an...

November 13, 4:35pm

You fellows mustn't shoot any kid sports. If I shot RAW of my daughter's soccer games I'd be swapping out hard drives like tortilla chips! JPEG performance does seem to vary among ma...

November 13, 4:04pm

All good questions, Dirk. Overall, I'm unconcerned about the relatively small sensor difference between 4/3 and APSC, both of which are leagues apart from P&S sensors while only being mode...

November 13, 11:12am

Re: Atlas Race vs Run Snowshoes
Hi Eric, I have a pair of Races, three or four years old (and I don't know if the design has changed in the meantime). They're sure nice and light compared to other shoes. The crampon...

In GEAR » Atlas Race vs Run Snowshoes
November 11, 9:50am

Re: LYTRO - LIGHT FIELD CAMERA
It's fascinating as a proof-of-concept product that could not have existed without the tremendous computing power available to common consumer goods. In some ways it's the biggest paradigm ...

In Photography » LYTRO - LIGHT FIELD CAMERA
November 06, 11:14am

Re: Thanks
GX1 will be rolled out next week, presumably in tandem with several preliminary evaluations and test images. One rumor site says this: "But the best news I got from two sources says that th...

In Photography » New Panasonic GX1
November 04, 10:00am

Re: weight
This might be the case if T-Rest actually gave us stuffsacks and repair kits but sadly, they're "accessories" in their realm. :-( My standard short weighs within an ounce of spec. ...

In GEAR » NeoAir Weights
November 04, 9:55am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm