BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 111 - 120 of 391 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Condensation Issues
Properly vented, I've had no condensation issues with my MLD Duomid. Even in total storm pitch against the ground it's been fine.

In GEAR » Suggestions for Ultralite winter shelter under $200
January 01, 6:43pm

Re: EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
Due to this, I love the fact that we can ask each other what works in what conditions. It's how I've chosen most of my gear. Better than any rating. Thank you to all for piping up with y...

In GEAR » EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
December 24, 2:22pm

Re: Low End Comfort Level for Insulated Pants
I use Montbell Down Inner pants down to single digits, but in conjunction with FF down booties, Icebreaker 260 baselayer, and REI Mistral pants. I tend to run cold and would consider a warmer insu...

In Winter Hiking » Low End Comfort Level for Insulated Pants
December 24, 1:09pm

Otter Creek WV
I'm going out with an experienced UL style group Jan 6-8 to cover 30 miles or so. PM if interested.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for backpacking partner(s) [mid-Atlantic region]
December 23, 9:53am

Under the VBL liner?
@Matt Dickstein: Do you wear your primaloft layer under your VBL liner? How does this work out?

In Winter Hiking » Please describe your winter sleep system
December 21, 4:29pm

Re: winter sleep system
Down to single digits/4,000 feet: -Jacks R Better High Sierra Sniveller Quilt -Exped Downmat 9 -Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka -Montbell UL Down Inner Pants -FF Down Booties -OR Alpine mi...

In Winter Hiking » Please describe your winter sleep system
December 21, 2:50pm

Thanks!
I appreciate the advice. My bar is set low right now: I just want to get out for a night. It's killing me coming to Oregon once a year to visit my wife's family and not getting out.

In Winter Hiking » Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
December 19, 5:51pm

Quick Defense
I've learned countless bits of useful -- even necessary -- information from guys like David Ure, and made big purchases based on their input into the threads here. The experience and wisdom of...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Open Letter: Don't make the Gear Swap for members only
December 16, 7:56pm

Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
I'm visiting my wife's family in Portland and Hood River this Christmas time and I really want to get out for a night. Can I get up on the PCT or any of the trails and do a 20-30 mile circ...

In Winter Hiking » Need PNW Help - Backpacking the Columbia River Gorge End of December
December 14, 3:14pm

Bivy or Mid
When there isn't much snow called for, I just use a bivy in the winter (MLD's older eVent Alpine bivy). Works great, lovely to watch the winter stars, and there's no need for bug or wi...

In Winter Hiking » Using a bivy only in winter
December 14, 1:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm