BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 111 - 120 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

loneliness, pacing
I too really enjoyed reading your report. Thank you for sharing it. I have not done much solo overnight hiking. But I got that spooky feeling--what am I *doing* out here?--on a New Mexico tr...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fear and Loneliness on the Ozark Highlands Trail
October 13, 7:11pm

Modifying A-frame
Sometimes there is a big windy rainy storm coming in, and you have to mess around with it like this:

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Tarp question
October 12, 6:48pm

Mariposa straps
+1 on the pipe insulation instead of the flat foam provided. It's much more comfortable on the shoulders and chest, in addition to making the straps a bit narrower.

In GEAR » GG Mariposa Plus/ SMD Starlite Questions
October 02, 9:51pm

Water bladders
I offer a specific experience of exactly how a hydration bladder can fail in a pack. My husband wanted a neatsy cool Camelbak bladder for his pack for our Wonderland Trail hike. So I got him one ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 19, 11:48am

The Book
I have little experience in most of what you are proposing to do. But given your plans I think you will find this article fascinating. I did. The Book

In Gear Lists » Backpacking the Americas
September 08, 12:12pm

Kids sharing tents
I should clarify. What I meant was parents getting their kids a 3-lb solo tent, or even a 5-lb. 2-person tent, to use alone on youth trips. Not parents getting the kid out of the family tent. At...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you think ideas are discounted because of the source?
September 05, 9:19pm

REI etc.
Hmm. Yes there are many REI clerks who advise as you describe. Traditional backpackers are certainly the norm, and REI clerks are no different. I am a part-time REI salesclerk. To the exten...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you think ideas are discounted because of the source?
September 04, 5:13pm

re: plastic bag
Yes, it was pretty loose. As noted, it was one of the BPL pack liner bags, 13x10x30. Counting going around my sleeping bag volume, I think it came up to about knee level. Apparently air flow thr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Newbie with a question
September 01, 8:25am

plastic bag
"Lastly even though this may be very low tech it is also very low cost. What about a plastic trash bag over the foot end of your bag during a night of rain?" I tried a plastic bag (my ...

August 31, 11:04pm

tarps, no bivy
I have several tarps and no bivy. A tarp is my favorite way to go, nice and light and, if it's not too stormy, open to the surroundings. First tarp was a little flat no-name one my son left...

August 30, 11:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.