BPL Community Profile

Kathy A Handyside (earlymusicus) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeastern Michigan
About Me I'm getting back into backpacking after several years' hiatus. All my gear was circa 1979, so I've been gradually replacing it with lightweight new equipment. I will be retiring in 4 more years and then plan to do all the trails I've dreamed of doing. I also love xc-skiing and mt. biking. I plan to move to Oregon for retirement. Besides the outdoors, I love early and classical music;I play Baroque recorder and harpsichord. I'm a bookworm, I enjoy writing and quiet get-togethers with close friends.
CitySouthgate
StateMichigan
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathy A Handyside

Showing 111 - 120 of 164 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forum » Thread

Winter ISPO 2011
Great coverage of an interesting trade show! Thanks so much. I love looking at gear from companies not well-known here in the U.S. I'm really interested in the Soto stove.

In Editor's Roundtable » Winter ISPO 2011: Day 4 - Technical Treats
February 10, 1:05pm

Wonderful Article!
Thank you so much for this wonderfully-written article! The photographs are stunning. The PCT has been a dream of mine for some time; however, I can see that I need to get some high-mountain backpa...

In Editor's Roundtable » Hiking Through Hyperbole Part 2: The Snowy Sierra
February 03, 2:35pm

High Gear ATF8 Multi-Function Device
Thanks, Ray, for a great review! I saw this on High Gear's website and wondered how good it was. I was torn between a multi-function watch and this and decided this would be much more convenien...

In Editor's Roundtable » High Gear ATF8 Multi-Function Device
December 23, 11:53am

Re: Thanks and Ponies
Thanks, Luke! I definitely will!

In Editor's Roundtable » SUL with My Kid Brother
December 08, 10:57pm

SUL With My Kid Brother
Thank you for such a great story! My Dad introduced me to hiking when I was about four and though I'm 58, I still remember our hikes in the woods (as well as all our family's outdoors trips...

In Editor's Roundtable » SUL with My Kid Brother
December 07, 7:45pm

Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
I've managed to find some good little finds at Wal-Mart. For instance, I found one of those metal folding trowels for $6.00 - a cheaper knock-off version than the $18 one at a major backpacking...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
December 07, 6:31pm

SPOT2 Personal Locator Review
In three more years, I will retire and plan to move to either Oregon or Washington state. I live in Michigan and going from a flat state to a mountainous state will put me in very new terrain and c...

In Editor's Roundtable » SPOT2 Personal Locator Review and Extensive Field Test
December 01, 12:53pm

MontBell Ultra Light Super Spiral Down Hugger #3
Great review! Back in the '70s, when I first got into backpacking, I bought a Sierra Designs Cirrus sleeping bag. I have always found it to be very restrictive but that was the way all the mumm...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell Ultra Light Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag Review
December 01, 12:44pm

Re: POE Ether Elite Air Mat
Tad, I have an Instaflator too and I love it! I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and thought I'd have to get rid of it because blowing it up left me feeling very dizzy (as I have an inne...

In Editor's Roundtable » POE Ether Elite 6 2/3 Length Air Mat Product Review
November 15, 11:38am

Re: State of the Market Report: Two-Person Double-Wall Tents (2010)
Hi Mary - Have you checked out Granite Gear's The Haven? They told me it weighs about a pound. It looks like a pretty good bug protection.

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Two-Person Double-Wall Tents (2010)
November 09, 1:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathy A Handyside

Kathy A Handyside has posted no reviews.