BPL Community Profile

Doug Johnson (djohnson) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Washington State
About Me Backpacking Light Editor since 2003. During the week I'm an elementary school principal and the dad of Henry and Lily. On the weekends I like seeing how far I can walk with a SUL pack or taking the kids up to the mountains!
CityRedmond
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 SUL- Doug Johnson

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Johnson

Showing 111 - 120 of 920 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...92

Forum » Thread

Re: Your best gear of 2009
My theme for the year was kids. Lots of backpacking with my 3 year old Henry (he had trip 9 this summer) and Lily (her first was this summer at 3 months). Here are my new favorites: Gossamer G...

In GEAR » Your best gear of 2009
December 07, 12:26am

Re: Pak-Rifle Review
Very cool- I really enjoyed this review. Fishing and hunting aren't part of my backpacking experience or skills, but I certainly appreciate and respect these approaches. I've really enjoy...

In Editor's Roundtable » Pak-Rifle Review
December 01, 10:24pm

Re: 2 ppl, 4 seaons tent for alpine climbs?
I live in Washington where our winters are snowy but wet. My BD Lighthouse didn't work well here- I got wet inside. I'd consider this a dry winter tent. I love my Hilleberg Nallo 2. I...

In GEAR » 2 ppl, 4 seaons tent for alpine climbs?
November 18, 10:04pm

Re: Re: Winter Backpack Recommendations
Another vote for the Golite Pinnacle. I've used this for several years and the previous model before that. Great pack and it works great for up to about 30 pounds. My review of this pack is o...

In GEAR » Winter Backpack Recommendations
November 18, 9:40pm

Re: Re: Are cuben fiber packs and tarps holding up?
Hi Brett, I've had a bunch of Cuben stuff and have had great results with one exception: Shelters and tarps- great results: My Refuge X held up great to serious storms. My two cuben tar...

In GEAR » Are cuben fiber packs and tarps holding up?
November 15, 4:54pm

Re: Free Storage
AWESOME! I've been wondering how large your storage had become- I remember the storage unit! My gear grew to a closet, then two, then 2 1/2 plus food storage in a big section of the pantry....

In Editor's Roundtable » All the Gear a Guy Could Want
October 06, 11:34pm

Re: 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin
I loved this story and the video! With two little ones at home, the length of my non-family trips has gotten much shorter and I've settled on the 24 hour trip as a go-to as well. I have my ...

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin Mountains
October 06, 6:11pm

Re: Re: Best Tent for someone not sure they like snowcamping yet
If you're still trying it out, there are some less expensive options: MSR Twin Sisters $200 Golite Shangri La 2 $175 I have a Shangri La 3- great tent. I also had a MSR Twin Peaks (same...

In Winter Hiking » Best Tent for someone not sure they like snowcamping yet
October 01, 11:49pm

Re: 2010 Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy
Aha! Good question. It's true that a moist environment is warmer. Try a vapor barrier and you'll quickly see this fact. That is, until the insulation in your bag has lost loft because...

In GEAR » 2010 Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy
October 01, 11:43pm

Re: Cuben Fiber Down Air Pad
Very interested. I'm all over the orange, but am fine with whatever color... Great idea!

In Gear Deals » Cuben Fiber Down Air Pad
October 01, 11:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Johnson

Showing 1 - 10 of 22 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Backpacking Light Firelite SUL-500 Cookpot
I've found this mug to be well-sized for solo trips and after a lot of field use, it's proven to be very durable. My first gen pot came with the sloppy lid but BPL was very quick to replace...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 17, 9:33am

clif shot bloks/jelly belly sport beans various flavors
These products both taste good and give good calories. That said, it's important to look at the ingredients: Clif Blocks Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Organic Brown...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
May 09, 6:48pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
BPL has the following reviews related to this tent: * Double Wall Tent Review Summary *

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 07, 12:15am

Golite Sun Dragon shoes
I just got off 3 days of backpacking on the Olympic Coast with these shoes and I love them! In my size 11-11.5 they weight 14.9 oz (compared to 13.1 oz for my Inov8 FlyRoc 310s). That's pretty...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 06, 2:35pm

Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4
Here's our review of the Nightlight pad. If you're going Su...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 26, 7:59am

Black Diamond Ion
I once liked this light but its day has passed and there's been no updates. The Petzl e+lite weighs the same, is much brighter, is much more versatile, and has longer batterly life. The Petzl...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
March 02, 9:02pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I've watched this DVD at least 6times now...even though I'm a seasoned UL and SUL backpacker, I've learned a lot from this DVD and really enjoy it. I've also shown it to a couple of f...

In Books and Media
March 01, 9:22pm

Big Agnes SL3
I'm not so enthusiastic about this tent. Here's my review: Big Agnes SL3 review...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 27, 5:25pm

Jocalat bars (by Larabar) Chocolate
If you haven't tried Larabars yet, you should. They are so darn good. So it's not suprising that when Larabar decided to make the new Jocalat chocolate-based energy bar, they'd stick wit...

February 25, 9:23pm

Big Sur Bars Original
All 3 varieties of Big Sur Bars are delicious. They taste like a soft, healthy cookie and remain soft when the temp drops (although like all bars they will freeze). They also pack 680 calories i...

February 25, 9:11pm