Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 111 - 120 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Solar Power Is Great!
You are right. It was about seven years ago and the system was then about ten years old. Out of curiousity, where were you located? I'm in North Central Washington about thirty miles from the ...

In Chaff » Solar power...
March 04, 12:18pm

Re: Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
Shoes I like these days: Inov-8 flyroc 310, Salomon XA, Montrail Hardrock, Montrail Masai. Typically I start looking very hard at shoes after about 300 miles. I've had failures in the field at...

In GEAR » Shoes for Long Distance Hiking
March 03, 6:44pm

Re: Solar power...
I'm speaking from experience here -- I spent a year living off the grid. The first thing I'd say, is you had better be willing to make substantial lifestyle changes. Unless you are willing to s...

In Chaff » Solar power...
March 03, 12:30pm

Re: A year in a tent
Actually the difference between living out of a tent the way you are talking about and backpacking are quite large. For the living out of the tent part, I'd find a reasonably priced and simple t...

In Other Activities » A year in a tent
March 01, 8:22pm

Re: Perhaps the market is re-grouping
Glenn, I've never met your parents. Although I suspect a lot of your predictions will come true. One interesting reason I think that lighter gear will take off is that a generation of people...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market for Backpacking Gear: Innovation, Broken Promises, and Hope
February 28, 2:45pm

Re: Which option is lighter?
For a weekend, all things considered, you'll probably save a bit of weight by not cooking. But you'll also probably be surprised how little weight you'd save. As has been pointed out, an esbit ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Which option is lighter?
February 26, 5:55pm

Re: Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?
Not a fixed blade knife, but about the lightest locking blade knife I've found is the Columbia River PECK: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&produ...

In GEAR » Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?
February 23, 8:37pm

Re: Light, but maybe too fast?
I don't think big days are required at all. Because the thru-hiker subculture has been a big driving force behind ultralight backpacking gear, that automatically links big distance and some spee...

In Chaff » Light, but maybe too fast?
February 23, 6:02pm

Re: Tent stakes and other restricted carry on's
When I check my pack (which is 99 percent of the time, I put it into a clear plastic bag with a twist-tie on it to protect the pack from abrasion. I've also found that if you can, turning the pack...

In GEAR » UL gear and planes
February 17, 5:48pm

Re: Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
That's an enormous amount of calories you are talking about. How often would resupplies be? I don't know anything about Accelerade or Endurox. With the long days, lunch and breakfast are pro...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Diet for High Mileage Long Hikes
February 16, 1:39pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am