Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Matt Lutz (citystuckhiker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Hiker-turned-ultramarathon runner. Sorry backpack, I've neglected you.
CityMankato
StateMinnesota
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://crazyrunnerguy.blogspot.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter 2011-12

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matt Lutz

Showing 111 - 120 of 805 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...81

Forum » Thread

Re: In summary
A comment on boots. I work at a scout camp that gives scouts two pairs of boot liners. One pair is worn during the day, the other (dry) is packed away, and then put in the sleeping bag or otherwise...

In GEAR » drying cloths on the trail
January 21, 7:12pm

Re: best winter pack for carrying snowshoes
I carry a GG VT in winter with MSR Lightning ascents (25"). The pads go on the back (vertically) and the shoes go on top underneath a strap. The strap goes through the binding for stability.

In GEAR » best winter pack for carrying snowshoes
January 21, 5:51pm

Re: BPL Absaroka Pack
Ditto Roger and Lynn. Also, props to BPL for getting their statement and vision of the pack out there. Like most, I have more than one pack. One for SUL pursuits (Zpacks Z1) and one for everyth...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 21, 5:48pm

Re: Re: golite.
When chatting with a sales rep at Midwest Mountaineering a while ago, I asked him about this issue (re: 2009 Jam wieght increases of 2008 model). He said that GoLite was in a bind. They weren't...

In GEAR » Golite has Officially Lost Their Mind
January 20, 8:31am

Re: Montbell Ex Light Women's Down Jacket Review
Good job smacking Montbell for making the women's jacket colder than the men's version. The added seams are superfluous and having less down also doesn't make sense. I tell my scout...

In Editor's Roundtable » Montbell Ex Light Women's Down Jacket Review
January 19, 3:39pm

Re: hood or no hood down jacket
A down (jacket/parka) designed to be worn over everything need hood. If it lacks an insulated hood, it is a glorified midlayer (TNF Nupste) or a true midlayer (e.g. MB ExLight). Any piece of cl...

In GEAR » hood or no hood down jacket
January 13, 7:30pm

Re: MSR pot grabber
Litelifter.

In GEAR » firelite 550 SUL
January 13, 7:26pm

Re: firelite 550 SUL
MSR pot grabber for the win.

In GEAR » firelite 550 SUL
January 13, 6:43pm

bivy
If you're looking for a bivy-only solution, ckeck out MLD's 2010 Alpine Bivy. It makes me drool and Brian Roble used an older version of it during his AT yoyo. You'd need to figure out ...

In GEAR » Solo shelter options
January 13, 4:05pm

Re: Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Jacket Review
Will, I'm confused. If the jacket dumps heat and is not as warm because of construction, why should I use it when a fleece or softshell would do same thing for similar weight and better breatha...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Jacket Review
January 12, 4:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Matt Lutz

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Scree (softshell pants)
There is so much to love about these pants, but the little details kill any possibility of a 5 rating. So 4 it is. The good: The pants are made of Marmot's proprietary M3 fabric, which is a ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
October 20, 9:50am

Zpacks Z1
I bought my Z1 from a BPL forum member. It had a webbing waist belt and a removable sternum strap. I have since removed the waistbelt (via scissors) and removed the sternum strap, which was attached t...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 03, 10:22am

Montbell UL Down Inner Parka
I have a 2008 MB Inner down Parka, and I wish I would have waited until the 2009 models were released before hitting "submit order." I have a size small, which weighs in at 7.2 oz. The ja...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 03, 9:24am

Black Diamond Windweight (formerly Jetstream)
I have owned two pairs of BD wind-proof liner gloves - an older pair of Jetstreams and the new model, their Windweights. Both used Polartec Windbloc fabric. These gloves are excellent next-to-skin...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 9:15am

Black Diamond Powerstretch (now Midweights)
These are my go-to liner gloves for all seasons. In three-season wear, they are are breathable and not too warm when the temperature dips. In cold and wet weather, I use them under a pair of MLD eVent...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
October 03, 8:50am