BPL Community Profile

Harrison Carpenter (carpenh) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale St. Vrain River Valley
About Me They call me Carp-Dawg, Dr. C, The Rodent Whisperer, and/or Rat Man-- depending upon who they are and what they see me doing.
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-day, 3-season, Solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 111 - 120 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Re:
Bear in mind, this is only an idea, not a plan. I knew when I posted it many people would think it's insanity. But I've read/heard many complaints about the silicone-stripes arrangement. It...

In Make Your Own Gear » Grommet/elastic cord on a silnylon floor?
September 29, 6:11pm

Yes
OK, I think I get it now! And I think I also understand why you say the tethers/webbing lines would need to be 20". As elastic as they are, they can only stretch so much. My pad is 2.5" t...

September 29, 1:47pm

Agreed
The proof will be "in the doing." It looks to me like we have the same ideas, really... and I probably haven't been clear about mine. (This might be because I'm not sure of exactl...

September 29, 12:27pm

Hmmmm
It occurred to me that sewing the loop into the floor made sense-- even though I always use a groundsheet, the grommet does seem antithetical... I see using an elastic webbing for a sewn-in loop...

September 29, 11:11am

Grommet/elastic cord on a silnylon floor?
I got an idea this morning, when I was thinking of a way to secure my sleeping pad to my tent's silnylon floor: 1) secure a metal grommet into the floor at the tent's midpoint; 2) tie...

September 29, 9:44am

Disrupting the thread, but...
My town's humidity, as of this moment? 20%. Melbourne (according to Weather.com)? 68%. :-) Thanks again.

In GEAR » Tacky silicone...
September 20, 5:50pm

The culprit
Ah, thanks Franco. I think you've hit on my problems. One, it was rather dry when I had the tent up (no recall, but on average our region sees 20-25% humidity daily in late August); and two, th...

September 20, 5:09pm

Responses
I used GE Premium Waterpoof silicone, and Kleen-Strip odorless mineral spirits, mixed in the ratio suggested on TarpTent's website. I'd read about the talcum/baby powder method, but had (na...

September 20, 4:25pm

Tacky silicone...
OK, I experienced what I think is something of a "fail" when I was seam sealing my new silnylon tent. Evidently, I didn't let the silicone/mineral spirits sealant mix cure long enough...

September 20, 12:12pm

Re:
Rambling is what hikers do, Brian. :-) I don't feel comfortable making gear recommendations, since I'm not much of a reviewer. But I can offer you a few ideas about the process of "...

In GEAR » Trying to get down to 20lb pack need advice.
September 20, 7:47am

All Reader Reviews by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent Notch
This is more of an initial test report. After sealing my Notch's seams, and doing several test-pitches in my backyard, I took it out into Colorado's Indian Peaks Wilderness Area for an overnig...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 23, 7:09pm