Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Harrison Carpenter (carpenh) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale St. Vrain River Valley
About Me They call me Carp-Dawg, Dr. C, The Rodent Whisperer, and/or Rat Man-- depending upon who they are and what they see me doing.
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-day, 3-season, Solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 111 - 120 of 142 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

OK...
Alright then. If I am to go with the silicone stripes option, then 1) how wide should the stripes be, and 2) how necessary would it be to also coat my pad's underside?

In Make Your Own Gear » Grommet/elastic cord on a silnylon floor?
September 29, 7:39pm

Re:
Bear in mind, this is only an idea, not a plan. I knew when I posted it many people would think it's insanity. But I've read/heard many complaints about the silicone-stripes arrangement. It...

September 29, 6:11pm

Yes
OK, I think I get it now! And I think I also understand why you say the tethers/webbing lines would need to be 20". As elastic as they are, they can only stretch so much. My pad is 2.5" t...

September 29, 1:47pm

Agreed
The proof will be "in the doing." It looks to me like we have the same ideas, really... and I probably haven't been clear about mine. (This might be because I'm not sure of exactl...

September 29, 12:27pm

Hmmmm
It occurred to me that sewing the loop into the floor made sense-- even though I always use a groundsheet, the grommet does seem antithetical... I see using an elastic webbing for a sewn-in loop...

September 29, 11:11am

Grommet/elastic cord on a silnylon floor?
I got an idea this morning, when I was thinking of a way to secure my sleeping pad to my tent's silnylon floor: 1) secure a metal grommet into the floor at the tent's midpoint; 2) tie...

September 29, 9:44am

Disrupting the thread, but...
My town's humidity, as of this moment? 20%. Melbourne (according to Weather.com)? 68%. :-) Thanks again.

In GEAR » Tacky silicone...
September 20, 5:50pm

The culprit
Ah, thanks Franco. I think you've hit on my problems. One, it was rather dry when I had the tent up (no recall, but on average our region sees 20-25% humidity daily in late August); and two, th...

September 20, 5:09pm

Responses
I used GE Premium Waterpoof silicone, and Kleen-Strip odorless mineral spirits, mixed in the ratio suggested on TarpTent's website. I'd read about the talcum/baby powder method, but had (na...

September 20, 4:25pm

Tacky silicone...
OK, I experienced what I think is something of a "fail" when I was seam sealing my new silnylon tent. Evidently, I didn't let the silicone/mineral spirits sealant mix cure long enough...

September 20, 12:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Harrison Carpenter

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent Notch
This is more of an initial test report. After sealing my Notch's seams, and doing several test-pitches in my backyard, I took it out into Colorado's Indian Peaks Wilderness Area for an overnig...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 23, 7:09pm