BPL Community Profile

Brendan Swihart (brendans) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Fruita CO
About Me Brendan Swihart has not added a biography yet.
My Website URLhttp://outlivingblog.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brendan Swihart

Showing 111 - 120 of 582 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...59

Forum » Thread

Re: Coffee - carry a mug?
I used to use freezer bags but added a bowl (ziplock screw top) to eat out of. It's easier and in the end probably lighter because you don't have nasty wet bags you're carrying around....

In GEAR » Coffee - carry a mug?
February 21, 2:50pm

nobull/M50
The Nobull 2 from Tigoat is the best I've used. Light, good price, no down leakage, great balance of breathability and wind/water resistance, and feels great. I recently got some M50 for a pr...

In Make Your Own Gear » My latest ultralight quilt (Virga Outdoors)!
February 21, 2:37pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: fit, function, diminishing returns
I find Arc'teryx stuff on par qualitywise with other brands depending on the item. I'm not sure what Dave U is referring to regarding Rab quility; every Rab piece I've owned is impecca...

In GEAR » Should I be carrying more Dead Birds?
February 21, 11:12am

Escalante, early March
This is a tentative list for 6-ish day trip in the Escalante area in the next couple weeks or so. Weather can be pretty variable this time of year; the below is most likely scenario with highs aro...

In Gear Lists » Escalante, early March
February 21, 8:15am

Re: Arbitrary numbers...
I agree with Craig that it has a lot to do with skills, location, and condition of a given trip. A lot of people successfully use a Zpacks Blast but that would be stupid light for me. I take a sh...

In GEAR » Examples of "Stupid Light"
February 20, 8:29pm

Re: Re: Modified Felled Seam
I guess I don't see how the third row does anything unless one of the other two rows fail. If you have load pulling out from each side of the seam, isn't all of the pulling on the outside ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modified Felled Seam
February 20, 9:31am

Re: Re: Modified Felled Seam
One option is folding over the longer seam allowance and sewing through that first (rather than just tucking it under after making a stitch through 2 layers), so you're going through 3 layers i...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modified Felled Seam
February 20, 8:25am

Re: Pack: durable hauler recommendations
Like others have mentioned, a lot of climbing packs aren't really intended for carrying 50 lbs. Cilo is the one that comes to mind that has a real frame but there are quite a few not-so-glowin...

In GEAR » Pack: durable hauler recommendations
February 19, 8:10am

Re: it's all in the name
...or a Costa Rican grocery store...

In GEAR » Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL2
February 15, 6:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Help Choosing a Knife?
Yeah I'd probably just get a Mora. Cheap, works, and has a real handle. Plenty light. Tons of options http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html edit: you can get just the blade...

In GEAR » Help Choosing a Knife?
February 14, 11:20am

All Reader Reviews by Brendan Swihart

Brendan Swihart has posted no reviews.