BPL Community Profile

b d (bdavis) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.
About Me Happy to find this site. Camping, hiking, whatever - love kayaks and have a bunch of foldables if people are ever in the area and want to use one - including a Klepper double which is great for taking gear and two people anywhere, including by sail in low wind conditions. Spent so much time reviewing all the posts and articles here over Thanksgiving I thought I would fill in some blanks. Me and partner live a few miles from Lassen peak on Hwy. 44 if you want to look it up and are in the area. Welcome to use our home as a base.
CityOld Station
StateCA
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://www.shastalaw.net

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by b d

Showing 111 - 120 of 208 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Tx 4 advy, conc's re: HS' RShadow test
Thanks guys, for the advice and encouragement. The trench idea has a twist now. I just met a woman who lives a couple of miles from me up here on the mountain. She is a PCT "Angel." ...

In Multiple Use Gear » Rainshadow 2 Tarptent as snow/4th season tent
December 12, 12:10am

Re: Re: Re: Model vs reality
Romano, You're cool. Hope CP didn't take offense at the baristorial convolutions; I actually never took the calculus (although I read some commentaries on it by Leibniz when I was study...

In Philosophy & Technique » reading and writing on UL trips
December 11, 11:10pm

Re: Model vs reality
Roman, (Wrote this before the second graph, still looking at it.) Did you have a goal of so many miles a day? The points and curve are very 'symmetrical' or consistent. At the end w...

December 11, 10:21pm

Re: Australia burns
My daughter works for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection; she's a wildland firefighter. Apparently, from what she has said, they work to put out all fires. Sometimes th...

In Chaff » Spare a thought
December 11, 9:34pm

Re: Re: Steggers & Military M51 snow jacket
JR -- I hadn't noticed that. What I did notice is that this thing is like an oven. Even if it is 3.5 lbs., I can't believe how hot I got in moderate weather. Convinces me that it will...

In GEAR » Stegger mukluks?
December 11, 8:12pm

Re: Which layer first
I use the GoLite Ether windshirt. It is cold and synthetic feeling next to my skin. I didn't like it at all, and it seemed to be pretty damp or sweaty feeling when climbing a grade. It seemed...

In Philosophy & Technique » Which layer first
December 11, 7:44pm

Cookie cooling grill
I use a cheap, sold all over cookie cooling, metal "kitchen cooling rack" for a cooking grill over wood fires. It is a commercial product that is intended to cool cookies on. I cut off ...

In Make Your Own Gear » 1 oz. grill
December 11, 7:03pm

Re: DE for Dr.J (inspired by D. Bonn)
pj, et al. - Quite right that Crazy Pete is not crazy .. that is certain. In fact, I wish he could graph and create algorithims for law office scheduling efficiencies. Ditto on the lawyers, ...

December 11, 12:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DE for Dr.J (inspired by D. Bonn)
I updated my previous communication, just saw yours. Agree, for now anyway, thus I can actually go to bed. Thank you for the dialogue and thought, most persevering and percipient.

December 11, 12:49am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DE for Dr.J (inspired by D. Bonn)
Crazy Pete, Cool. Trying to put math around this UL stuff is cool, way cool. I never thought of doing it. But I only have myself for a sample/null set v. sample. Thus you guys are way ahea...

December 11, 12:26am

All Reader Reviews by b d

Showing 1 - 10 of 112 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Review

Category

Outdoor Products Hall Pass Day/O'Nite Pack
I picked up this pack for $20 US at a Big 5 to experiment with (Campmor has it listed at $14.99). The thought was to see if it would do for a day, a night, and a day camping trip. Here it is packed,...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 29, 1:22pm

Gorillapod SLR
I rarely bother to review items I would not use or which deserve less than a 4, but this chain caught my eye. Owning a GorillaPod for SLRs I can't recommend it for a person trying to go UL. So I...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
January 27, 7:32pm

Spark-Lite Fire Starter (Survival Gear - BPL Gear Shop)

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
January 27, 6:30pm

Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil
I have been using the same piece of Reynolds aluminum foil for a windscreen and a food prep area for about 6 months, maybe 8 now. It held up well and is light weight. It is important to get the heav...

In Stoves - Other
January 26, 7:54pm

BMW Stealth 0 NANO (6x8) UL Tarp - 4.2 oz. Catenary Ridgeline
I don't think I could have found a better tarp to learn with and from. It is fragile compared to heavier fabric tarps, but it is precisely for that reason that it is a great learning tool This...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
January 26, 7:05pm

Mountain Hardwear Butter Balaclava
I entirely agree with Craig S.' review. I carry this item with me everywhere once the weather turns cool or cold. I wear it over or under my Mountain Hardwear Micro beanie, and both of them unde...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 26, 12:59pm

PossumDown Gloves (BPL Gear Shop)
These are a real find. I was waiting for the BPL Gear Shop to get them back in stock and am glad I waited. My partner got a pair of gloves from another New Zealand supplier and although they are gre...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 23, 8:35pm

Mountain Hardwear Phantom Down Jacket (Women's)
This is a piece of gear my partner obtained. But, it also works for me. She got a large to wear over other items, and it fits me fine as well. It is well made and is warm, but not too hot in cold...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 23, 8:16pm

OR DryComp Summit Sack
A few short months ago I never thought I could use a frameless pack. But, testing out systems and hiking more, because my pack weight was going down as my familiarity and technique with gear and the ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 21, 8:05pm

McNett AquaMira Water Treatment
It has taken some time, and a lot of winter boredom, to get to trying out chemical water treatment systems -- goal: reduce weight w/o gagging on the water after treatment. So after studying here I fi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
January 21, 7:10pm