Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Ben Crowell (bcrowell) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Ben Crowell has not added a biography yet.
CityFullerton
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ben Crowell

Showing 111 - 120 of 329 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...33

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
David, that's hilarious, in a black-humor sort of way. I had sort of a similar experience on a recent 2-week hike. You know how it gets when you go a long time without seeing women? Well, fo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
July 31, 7:01pm

Re: recent incident in Glacier
"I carry a firearm for a living, but always carry spray in grizzly country. recent incident in Glacier w/ Jack Hanna" Aw, all he did was protect five people from three grizzlies, and res...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1 dead, 2 injured in Montana bear attack
July 31, 6:34pm

Re: Gear List
John Jays wrote: "Without more information though, your food allotment could be goosed up a smidge to a minimum 2 pounds per day." I'm the same body weight as Jeff, and 2 lb/day woul...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2010 Solo Hike - Aug 21st
July 31, 6:26pm

cameras under 4 oz
Thanks, Franco, that was a very helpful link! The Casio Exilim EX-Z80 is pretty light, and seems to get decent reviews. I'm getting contradictory information about its exact weight (3.5 oz? ...

In GEAR » UL cameras?
July 31, 5:55pm

looks cool
That's an excellent base weight for the JMT! I just finished the JMT (also solo) last week, and in most ways your gear list looks pretty similar to mine. In your OP you mentioned you'...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2010 Solo Hike - Aug 21st
July 31, 3:53pm

field testing keychain camera
Here are the results of field testing the camera. The image quality is abysmal, but that's what I expected, and I was making a conscious decision to save four ounces by accepting bad quality...

In Photography » keychain camera
July 31, 9:33am

style and salesmanship
I think the question of boots vs. running shoes is similar to the question of trekking poles vs. no trekking poles. There are rational arguments to be made on each side, and there are specific case...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
July 31, 8:58am

OC
Serving a life sentence in OC.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California
July 31, 8:18am

depends on what you mean by lightweight
The Panasonic TS2 is 6.7 oz with batteries, which doesn't seem particularly light to me. On my most recent trip, I experimented with a 0.7-oz Pinecom 808. It wasn't a success, because ap...

In GEAR » UL cameras?
July 31, 8:13am

Re: nay on the screw tops
@nathan: The odd thing is that the Moosejaw page's description of the jars says, "Jars are not recommended for liquid storage." But yours doesn't leak? If they're not for liqu...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Foolproof containers for oily stuff?
July 30, 7:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Ben Crowell

Ben Crowell has posted no reviews.