BPL Community Profile

Andrew Wilson (andreww) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Vosges
About Me A PCTr 1998, all home-sewn, I've persued outdoor pursuits lightweight since. Currently I'm riding my 1983 Raleigh super-comp through the passes of the Vosges.
CityStrasbourg
StateBas-Rhin
CountryFrance

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew Wilson

Showing 111 - 120 of 120 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Forum » Thread

Primary vs. Secondary combustion ratios
Something to consider. In my experiments with tincanium stoves, I've concluded that it is important to restrict your primary air (fewer/ smaller lower holes)--otherwise you produce more smoke t...

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove
June 06, 12:50pm

Re: alternative for disposable food bags?
In Beyond Backpacking, Jardine recommends cut-up paper grocery bags. They double as a fire starter--they would be much sturdier than waxed paper. You could go whole hog and buy a roll of butcher...

In GEAR » alternative for disposable food bags?
June 05, 6:56am

Re: UL Umbrellas?
Chad: Eagle Creek has a model that weighs in at 3.5 oz: http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/travel_necessities/Nimbus-SL-Travel-Umbrella-40429/ It appears to be more or less the same thing...

In GEAR » UL Umbrellas?
June 03, 10:57am

Grip Clips and other tarp clips
Please relate any experience you have with the Grip Clips or other tarp clips. They claim to work on silnylon, etc. The smaller ones are are quite light (~.085oz), and seem an intriguing option for...

In Make Your Own Gear » Grip Clips and other tarp clips
December 19, 9:37am

Re: Homemade Woodgas
1. Get 2 empty cans that fit inside each other with 1/2"+ gap. I can't say which--perhaps a 25oz tomato and a 16oz soup can. 2. Trace an outline of the smaller can on the bottom of the larger, t...

In GEAR » Ryan's Favorites: BushBuddy
December 04, 12:48pm

Homemade Woodgas
A rough approximation of the double-walled bushbuddy can be built rather simply with recycled cans. These can weigh in at around 5oz. Check out: http://www.kandpprogressive.com/Woodgas.htm ...

In GEAR » Ryan's Favorites: BushBuddy
December 04, 6:50am

Scrap the Yahoo group, use WikiHow
Althought the forum is a great idea, why doesn't someone upload the instructions on to WikiHow, then all who want can update and improve upon the directions. Variations on the original design can b...

In Make Your Own Gear » G4 pack questions
October 12, 6:02am

Lightweight
I'm basically making a rucksack w/ 200 denier packcloth and 1.9oz urethane coated ripstop. Thanks for the reminder of the G-4's pattern. ALW

In Make Your Own Gear » Seam Allowances
September 12, 5:32pm

New Ultralight Umbrella
Being a PNW hiker, I have found umbrellas tremendously helpful, and was intrigued by Ryan Jordan's teaser for the 2006 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backp...

In GEAR » New Ultralight Umbrella
September 12, 5:27pm

Seam Allowances
I'm building my own pack, and am trying to decide what kind of seam allowances are necessary for a simple flat seam (no [mock] french, or felled seams)---the kind that will hold the walls to the ba...

In Make Your Own Gear » Seam Allowances
September 07, 5:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson has posted no reviews.