BPL Community Profile

Don Amundson (amrowinc) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I had been away from backpacking for many years. When I started researching equipment it was like coming too after a coma. I was amazed to discover "lightweight." I did the JMT in 2009 and have been regularly on the trail since.
CityPasadena
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.trailjournals.com/don

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Don Amundson

Showing 111 - 120 of 238 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...24

Forum » Thread

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
This is in great shape with no tears/rips/patches. I bought it from someone here on BPL a few years back, used it once and have since gone to a different rain protection system. It's a green on...

In Gear Deals » Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
January 28, 10:26pm

Sierra Stakes
I use Ti Shepard stakes supplemented with rocks occasionally since there is no lack of them in the sierras. I find I can get the Ti's in the rocky Sierra soil a lot easier than those I've ...

In GEAR » best stakes for the High Sierra
January 24, 10:02am

Black Diamond Distance Trekking Z Poles
BPL members come through again! Thanks for the link to the BD replacement part page. I was unaware of that. REI is currently having a sale on the distance poles-ending today. After adding up th...

In GEAR » Black Diamond Distance Trekking Z Poles
November 26, 2:01pm

Black Diamond Distance Trekking Z Poles
I broke one of my BD poles last week. Not the poles fault. I took a dive with my full body weight on it and snapped the middle section. Before I bought a new set I thought I'd check if someon...

In GEAR » Black Diamond Distance Trekking Z Poles
November 26, 10:34am

FB cooking
I always recommend trying out your food at home before hitting the trail. I hate the idea of expecting a good meal ending up having to force a less than tasty gruel down my throat. It agree with ...

In GEAR » Time/weight/volume - how to make freezerbag cooking actually work
November 25, 7:10pm

Odd Question
I dehydrate a lot of my food and also use some off the shelf stuff that will rehydrate well in a bag. You can dehydrate just about anything. Cook up some spaghetti in a meat sauce, chili, ground h...

In GEAR » Odd Question
November 11, 9:27pm

Bear Canister
If you can do 12 days with 8lbs of food your not likely to have a problem with volume. I can get 9 days of food at 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. per day in a Bearikade weekender. I could never do it packing fo...

In GEAR » How much bear canister do I need/do you use?
November 11, 1:39pm

Speedlock trek poles
Dean-What is it your most interested in? If its poles for travel then speedlocks or any collapsible poles aren't the only solution and for sure aren't the most compact. To me the locking m...

In GEAR » Speedlock trek poles
November 01, 9:13pm

Hiking Poles
I've been using the Black Diamond distance poles for a long time now. They come in three lengths, fold up to a compact 14 inch length and weigh in at 12 oz. I bought them specifically for plan...

In GEAR » Speedlock trek poles
November 01, 10:24am

Cozy: How much insulation is enough
I've found cheap car windshield reflectors is the best material. By cheap I mean the ones with foil on one side only, laminated to thin white foam. I got one at the 99 cent store for, what els...

In GEAR » Cozy: How much insulation is enough?
October 22, 10:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Don Amundson

Don Amundson has posted no reviews.