Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Dean F. (acrosome) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Back in the Front Range
About Me Solvitur ambulando sub divo.
CityColorado Springs
StateColorado
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dean F.

Showing 111 - 120 of 1696 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...170

Forum » Thread

WHy my wife doesn't hike with me...
I would take my wife on a long-term adventure in a heartbeat, if she were capable of it and could keep her sanity. (I maintain to this day that she misrepresented her opinions of wilderness activi...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do male adventurers not take their female partners along?
February 05, 2:44pm

Super-Awesome TIP OF THE DAY!!!
You don't need a pole jack. Use a rock.

In Philosophy & Technique » Super-Awesome TIP OF THE DAY!!! (warning, thread may be too awesome for some viewers)
February 05, 2:31pm

picking nits, and hypocrisy
@Valerie: "It has always been my experience that most men are pretty sensitive to a woman's "vibe" -- if a woman puts forward an "unapproachable" vibe, most men will re...

In Philosophy & Technique » Let's talk about the advantages of being a single female backpacker for a change....
February 05, 1:58pm

I'll back up Nathan
Another surgeon-hiker, here. Predictably, Nathan and I have been reading the same journals. For a unilateral inguinal hernia that isn't recurrent I have a hard time advising either way on o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How will hernia repair affect backpacking ??? Anyone Know?
February 05, 11:56am

Cuben is ok
I don't use a groundsheet with my Superlight. I don't have a lot of nights in it, maybe a dozen, but it's holding up well. You mention using a NeoAir, but for those who use a closed c...

In GEAR » MLD Superlight bivy with cuben floor - durable without ground sheet?
February 05, 11:14am

Skunky Colorado
The Colorado River is some of the skunkiest water I've ever choked down, so I'll emphatically second bringing some sort of flavoring. It helps a lot. We used alum to floc, and then trea...

In GEAR » Advice for Water Treatment in Grand Canyon
February 05, 10:55am

alum
If you are only going to tank up overnight you can leave the water out to settle a bit, and floc it with a pinch of alum (found on the spice rack in grocery stores). Literally milligrams will floc...

In GEAR » SteriPen Users -- Solids pre-treatment?
February 05, 10:50am

GRCA
Man, I have to second GRCA. I've done a few hikes there now, all in late spring/early summer, and ever since the first one I've been saying that I want to come back in winter. It's ha...

In Pre-Trip Planning » A week in February? Death Valley bikepacking? Western US park loop? Elsewhere? Cheap gas!
February 05, 8:39am

Thanks Luke
Thanks, Luke! Yeah, 2014 (when I presume your trip was) had higher than average flows. During your trip the flows at Twin Creek look to have been about 2500 cfs, rather higher than the average....

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bob Marshall Packraft (Looking for Dave Chenault)
February 04, 7:10pm

Bob Marshall Packraft (Looking for Dave Chenault)
I'm looking for Dave in particular, but all are welcome to chime in. For the past few years a pack rafting trip almost identical to the one Luke Schmidt did in his "Packrafting without ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bob Marshall Packraft (Looking for Dave Chenault)
February 04, 5:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Dean F.

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
I just got back from a Wind River Range traverse in which I tried a couple of Mary Jane's Farm meals for the first time- I had never heard of them- and I'm impressed. Fist, my caveat: I hav...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
September 11, 3:21pm

Bushnell SolarWrap Mini
Very light, but lost points for a smaller battery capacity than competitors and for durability concerns. And, shouldn't we really have an Electronic category in Gear Reviews at this point? Put...

In Miscellaneous Products
February 09, 6:56pm

Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -Andrew Skurka book
Wow, how to rate this book? It is NOT meant for someone who is already an experienced UL hiker. There is nothing in this book that someone like that doesn't already know or can find out in fiv...

In Books and Media
June 21, 3:43pm

Klepper Double wood framed folding kayak
I own a Long Haul Mark 2, which is a copy of the Klepper Double. Though the fasteners vary very slightly the Klepper frame can use the Long Haul hull-skins and vice versa. The guy who builds the Lon...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 27, 1:18pm

Sawyer In-Line Filter
I have a slightly different kit- the 0.1 micron 4-way filter. Of the filters available I give it a 5. It's not perfect, but IMHO it is the best that is available, hands down. The 4-way kit come...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
December 08, 10:12am

La Sportiva Crosslite
Personally, I rate this shoe a 5/5 because I'm ecstatic to find a shoe that FITS! (I have mutant monkey-feet.) But generally it is probably a 4. Listen, ye, to my tale of woe... I just mov...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 27, 6:02pm

Mont Bell
My wife ordered something I wanted for my birthday from MontbellUSA (not the main company in Japan). She included several ways of contacting her. Three and a half months later it hadn't arrived, s...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 03, 11:46pm