Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Gary Dunckel (Zia-Grill-Guy) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Boulder
About Me Gary Dunckel has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gary Dunckel

Showing 111 - 120 of 1678 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...168

Forum » Thread

UL BPL coffee
OK, so each cube weighs .5 oz., and it takes 2 cubes (1.0 oz.) to make a real cup of joe, right? That same ounce will get you 7 packs of Starbucks Via, and they don't have that foo-foo sweet st...

In Editor's Roundtable » Jiva Coffee Cubes
May 14, 12:37pm

May grill and Stix sale
Clayton, thanks for the shout out. I've hoped that the setup worked OK for you. These Mega Grills are pretty macho, no? Anyone else want to grab something before the end of May? I'll lik...

In Gear Deals » We need a grill sale here on BPL
May 14, 9:05am

News of Jeff Lowe
This piece was printed in the Boulder (CO) Daily Camera Sunday newspaper. Jeff Lowe has been rather an icon locally, and I expect that many of you that climb, or have carried a Lowe Alpine pack, kn...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » News of Jeff Lowe
May 13, 2:44pm

Re: Where would you setup camp in this picture
I like that cluster of trees on the far right of the photo, right in the middle, top to bottom. They don't seem to be the tallest trees, so maybe the lightning will go somewhere else. I can'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where would you setup camp in this picture
May 12, 4:54pm

BPL articles
Actually, Rex, I will be taking copies of those to the meeting, and I will be paraphrasing your words extensively. A year ago, Ryan gave me the OK to photocopy the 3-part series for handouts to the...

In GEAR » Eight days backpacking with a DeLorme inReach SE
May 12, 11:27am

DeLorme inReach S
Rex, your report was interesting, and rather thorough. In addition, it happens to be quite timely for me. Tomorrow night, our Boulder Lightpackers meet-up group will be discussing "Communicati...

In GEAR » Eight days backpacking with a DeLorme inReach SE
May 12, 10:37am

FP pre-filter material
Yeah, Bob, it's probably a polyester disk. I carry a couple of cotton balls in my emergency kit, and they work well as backup replacements for those rare times when the water has a lot of fine ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Aqua Mira tablets v. bleach
May 11, 9:41am

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness 5/6-8/2014
Superb, Gordon! Congratulations on a successful completion of your virgin solo hike. It looks like you did it in style. Thanks for the photos--they tell the story of the conditions, and also of you...

In Post-Trip Reports » Lost Creek Wilderness 5/6-8/2014
May 10, 9:40am

Another filter option
For several years now I have been using one of McNett's Frontier Pro filters. The pore size is much larger than the Sawyer Mini Filter, and isn't able to filter out bacteria. So it must be ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Aqua Mira tablets v. bleach
May 09, 7:28am

Stix on sale too
I am also knocking 10% off the new price of a set of 6 titanium Stix. Due to the rising cost of titanium, I've had to bump up the price from $30 to $33. This has already been changed on Rob'...

In Gear Deals » We need a grill sale here on BPL
May 08, 12:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Gary Dunckel

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
Mountain House's Pro Pack meal bags fit perfectly in the PCS cup. After adding the boiling water to the bag, stirring it up, and resealing it, you can empty the remaining water from the PCS, drop ...

In Stoves - Canister
March 18, 11:41am

Hilleberg Akto
I agree that the Akto is a very strong and high quality 4-season solo tent. But I must add an anecdote to illustrate the what I feel is the tent's main weakness. In early October of '06 we wer...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 28, 9:08am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
What the previous posts have neglected to mention is that the Amphib is perhaps the lightest (24 ounces/pair)"running shoe" that can be taken on a standard extended backpack trip (not fast packing) fo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 18, 7:45pm