BPL Community Profile

Gary Dunckel (Zia-Grill-Guy) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Boulder
About Me Gary Dunckel has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gary Dunckel

Showing 111 - 120 of 1657 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: the opposite of ultralight
Here's an overloaded guy I saw at the Atlantic Creek campsite at GNP in 2012: Chris was carrying his girlfriend's pack, as Carly had a serious blister on her foot and couldn't ca...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the opposite of ultralight
April 29, 1:33pm

Re: Amazon.com favorites?
+1 to what -B.G.- said. Then buy a vacuum sealer to dramatically increase the shelf life of your concoctions, and also decrease the space they take up in your food bag.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Amazon.com favorites?
April 28, 5:07pm

Save your $
Don’t buy (an) expensive trained German shepherd to guard your campsite; save your money and put it toward (a) good and loyal wolverine.

In GEAR » "Don't buy expensive ___; save your money and buy good _____."
April 28, 11:56am

Re: GNP Pre-trip
John, I believe that your MAN campsite is among a cluster of several that are designated for backpackers only, within the main Many Glacier campground. Maybe Clayton or Dave can confirm this for yo...

In Pre-Trip Planning » GNP August Pre-trip Planning
April 27, 4:26pm

Re: TrailStar and rain
Nah, Kyle, I was the only one that was truly overthinking things--everyone else was just trying to help. Well, the UK folks probably are in need of solving this issue, due to their rain, wind, and ...

In GEAR » TrailStar question
April 27, 2:53pm

TrailStar and rain
William, you're no doubt right about that sleeping arrangement. The back of the TS is pretty much rain proof when pitched right to the ground. There's only the issue of having to get around...

April 27, 10:22am

My crappy solution
It's looking like the rain will come any time now, so I went ahead and took some photos of what I think might work to keep the heavy rain at bay, sort of. The first shot is of the TrailStar pit...

April 27, 8:57am

re: Trailstar door
Hi, Stuart. Any chance that you could post a photo of that cuben door? I actually thought of making one myself, but I think maybe I've come up with another, sort-of-acceptable solution. I'm...

April 27, 8:17am

Swiftcurrent Inn
Just to add to Dave's grea overview info--he's right about the Swiftcurrent cabins that are cheaper and use a shared bathroom, but you can also get a room with a private bath (are those cal...

In Pre-Trip Planning » GNP August Pre-trip Planning
April 26, 5:19pm

Flexible pitching options
I agree that a pyramid with a zipper is more convenient for entry/exit than the TS. And you have to fiddle a bit with the TS to get things just right. But what I am attracted to is the countless pi...

April 26, 3:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Gary Dunckel

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
Mountain House's Pro Pack meal bags fit perfectly in the PCS cup. After adding the boiling water to the bag, stirring it up, and resealing it, you can empty the remaining water from the PCS, drop ...

In Stoves - Canister
March 18, 11:41am

Hilleberg Akto
I agree that the Akto is a very strong and high quality 4-season solo tent. But I must add an anecdote to illustrate the what I feel is the tent's main weakness. In early October of '06 we wer...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 28, 9:08am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
What the previous posts have neglected to mention is that the Amphib is perhaps the lightest (24 ounces/pair)"running shoe" that can be taken on a standard extended backpack trip (not fast packing) fo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
October 18, 7:45pm