BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 111 - 120 of 289 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...29

Forum » Thread

RE: FS: Fanatic Fringe Alpine Trail SUL backpack, 7 oz
SOLD

In Gear Swap » FS: Fanatic Fringe Alpine Trail SUL backpack, 7 oz
April 07, 4:50pm

RE: FS: GRANITE GEAR VIRGA PACK, LONG TORSO
SOLD

In Gear Swap » FS: GRANITE GEAR VIRGA PACK, LONG TORSO
April 07, 4:46pm

FS: Big Agnes Clearview Sleeping Pad
Inflatable urethane sleeping pad. 20 x 60 x 2.5 mummy shape. 11 ounces. Used, has 4 patches on it, Type A patching material. No leaks. MSRP is $47.95, sell for $20 plus shipping. Include your email...

In Gear Swap » FS: Big Agnes Clearview Sleeping Pad
March 19, 6:00pm

FS: Backpacking Light TorsoLite Sleeping Pad SOLD!
Pad is used, has a black stain on it from the pad sleeve on a backpack. Also has a repair just below the valve, repaired with FreeSole, so should be a permanent repair. Color is red. R-3. 17" ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Backpacking Light TorsoLite Sleeping Pad
March 19, 4:44pm

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Igloos
I agree with Chris. We did an igloo camping trip together back in 2007 and we learned a lot about the utility of igloos. If you plan to basecamp in a nice area for several days its worth building a...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Igloos
March 07, 2:39pm

Re: re: Montane sizing
Your point is well taken and I stand corrected. The Montane Slipstream jacket has a trim fit and does not "run small" as stated. The sleeve and body lengths are as expected for a size Lar...

In Editor's Roundtable » Montane Slipstream GL Jacket Review
March 07, 12:18pm

Re: 2012 Photo Contest Winners!
Beautiful photos and very inspiring, thanks to everyone that participated. A small correction: in the honorable mention photo by Steve Denny, the lake pictured is Taylor Lake and the pass is Ken...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Photo Contest Winners!
March 07, 11:00am

Responses to WPB Jackets Article
Hi all, thanks for your comments and lively discussion on this article series. There appears to be a lot of interest in this subject. My responses: Greg: Frogg Toggs and other Propore-type jacke...

In Editor's Roundtable » Field Testing Air Permeable Waterproof-Breathable Fabric Technologies Part 3: Discussion, Conclusions, and Performance of Individual Jackets
November 09, 4:55pm

Re: Synthetic jacket review
Hi Jonathan, sorry no synthetic jacket articles in the pipeline. Its been discussed, but other projects took priority. I agree that we need to do something on synthetic jackets, but it will be hard...

In Editor's Roundtable » Patagonia Ultralight Down Shirt Review
September 15, 7:31pm

FS: GRANITE GEAR VIRGA PACK, LONG TORSO
Pack is 2011 model in size Long Torso. The pack torso length measures 20.25 inches (underside of shoulder strap to center of hipbelt). Long torso size will be dropped this fall, so here's a cha...

In Gear Swap » FS: GRANITE GEAR VIRGA PACK, LONG TORSO
September 06, 10:43am

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm