BPL Community Profile

Thomas Knighton (Tomcat1066) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southwest GA
About Me I'm new, but the idea of carrying around 50 lbs of gear is not enticing in the least. I've spent a lot of time car camping in the past, and truthfully, it got boring. I wanted something new and exciting. I wanted to see places most folks will never see because they just don't have what it takes. Backpacking is something I've always wanted to do. Now, I'm doing it!
CityAlbany
StateGA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListPine Mountain Trail Overnight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Knighton

Showing 111 - 120 of 246 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...25

Forum » Thread

Re: Missing hiker wouldn't drink untreated water
I'd have been drinking the untreated water too. While I understand the concerns she had, there comes a point where you have to weigh your options, and drinking would have won every time, espec...

In GEAR » Missing hiker wouldn't drink untreated water
September 22, 5:37am

Re: From $10 of walmart silnylon!
Nice work! I really wish I would get off my butt and try and make some stuff like that, but I tend to start off with a project and never finish. Your stuff looks great, and very cool about the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » From $10 of walmart silnylon!
September 20, 4:16am

Stink
Embrace your inner funk! Tom

In GEAR » Deodorant/Anti-Perspirant... what do you use?
September 18, 2:41pm

Pine Mountain Trail in GA
I'm currently planning a trip to the Pine Mountain trail in East Central Georgia for around October 20th. This will be an overnight trip, as the trail is only about 23 miles. Still, I figured...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Pine Mountain Trail in GA
September 15, 3:46pm

Sierra Designs Hurricane Pants
I grabbed a pair of these a while back, and they're pretty good for the price. Don't know that I'd call them an upgrade from Precips though ;) Tom

In GEAR » Which Rain Pants???
September 15, 5:24am

RE: Ghost
Jason, Doesn't that make them multi use? ;) Tom

In Gear Lists » Just a photo...
September 12, 3:45am

My Bid
I bid $300 for it. Unfortunately, it's in Monopoly money. Tom

In Gear Swap » Bozeman Mountain Works Side Zip Vapr Bivy Long Left zip
September 07, 2:42pm

Re: sorry.
>anyone in my situation would do the same thing. call it >capitalism. i need money to replace this bivy so why not get >as much as i can. i have given away numereous items for free >on ...

In Gear Swap » Bozeman Mountain Works Side Zip Vapr Bivy Long Left zip
September 07, 3:17am

Re: Bivy with meash all down the top... has anyone tried this?
I easily admit I could be wrong here, but I'd think that the wind could still cause convective heat loss even with specifications you mention, though it would probably be reduced to some extent...

In GEAR » Bivy with meash all down the top... has anyone tried this?
September 06, 7:47am

Re: Permthrine - use when in mosquito and tick country
>Now can we please get back to the topic of comfort and >moisture control in merino wool products? > >Is that cavalier enough for you? Here here! I know how to deal with bugs in...

In Editor's Roundtable » Comfort and Moisture Transport in Lightweight Wool and Synthetic Base Layers
September 06, 7:06am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Knighton

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Golite Jam
I bought my GoLite Jam on closeout, since I was gearing up completely and needed to save money where I could. However, after trying the pack out, I have to say it was money well spent. I currently r...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 25, 7:19am

Petzl e+LITE
I got caught out past dark, and my e+Light really saved my butt. On maximum, it was enough to help me find my way for the next couple of miles to get to camp, and help me set up. I didn't notice...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 22, 7:37am

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
First, let me preface this by saying that I found no new information in the book really. However, that doesn't take away from the book. What I did was read it in the context to which it was inte...

In Books and Media
October 11, 7:04am

Light My Fire Spork
I bought one of these about a year ago to test as a possible piece of gear for my first backpacking trip. I promptly bought one for my wife and one for my son! These puppies are the best design out ...

In Cookware - Other
September 14, 3:37pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I purchased this DVD as a bit of a lark. I had heard some good things about it, and wanted to actually SEE some of the ultralight gear and techniques put to use. Not only that, but one of my guilty ...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:32am

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping by Ryan Jordan et al.
First, there is no better book on ultralight backpacking that I've read. This book is good for the beginner who decides to start ultralight, or the experienced traditional backpacker who wants to...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:25am

Coleman Peak 1 Microstove
Purchased partly by accident, partly by impatience, the Peak 1 Microstove is actually a pleasant surprise. It's easy to light, easy to control, fairly fuel efficient, and realitively inexpensive ...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 4:31pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
When I stumbled across this book at my local bookstore, I was excited beyond belief. A book on ultralight backpacking was exactly what I was looking for, and Lighten Up! was apparently sold out. &qu...

In Books and Media
January 06, 4:25pm

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis
Being new to backpacking, I picked up this book as a primer for my understand of the subject of backpacking. It's target audience is primarily people like me, who are new to backpacking and want ...

In Books and Media
January 02, 3:04am