Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Vance (Servingko) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Intermountain West
About Me Thru hiked the PCT in 1983 and half of the CDT in 84. Backpacking since 1973 when I did my first 50 miler as a scout. Total gear nut and have dropped from a base weight of 35lbs to 10 - 12lbs and love spending time in the mountains even more. I typically get out for 2 week long trips and several weekend trips each year.
CitySalt Lake City
StateUtah
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Vance

Showing 111 - 120 of 499 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...50

Forum » Thread

Sleep wear
I do as well. Silk weight long top and bottom 7.6oz for the pair, put on after a quick dip and my trail clothes are rinsed out nightly. This often makes for a chilly morning but it does motivate ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Separate sleeping clothes - yeah or nay
March 25, 1:00pm

Down ul vs syn ul
I have both but if I could only own one it would be the downmat ul. Super warm in the winter and no problem in the summer. I am a little cool below freezing on the syn and it just isn't enoug...

In GEAR » down vs synmats
March 22, 8:45pm

Golite Z-30 quilt
Just picked one up from the local store as curiosity got the best of me. First impressions are favorable but unless I can "fluff" it up a bit there may be some cold spots. I was dissapp...

In GEAR » Z-30 Quilts Up at Golite
March 22, 1:37pm

Quilt quiver
I have been fine with a 15f quilt and a 40f quilt. The 15f quilt is fine for me down to 0f and the 40f quilt is good to the mid twenties by augmenting either with what I normally carry. I don&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver
March 02, 1:50pm

Katabatic +2
I have owned many FF, WM, one Nunatak and 4 Katabatic bags, and would rate all very high in terms of workmanship with an almost tie between FF and Katabatic. Overall I'd give the nod to Ka...

In GEAR » Nunatak craftsmanship compared to other bag makers?
January 02, 9:43am

Golite quilt sold
Quilt sold

In Gear Swap » Gear Closet Cleaning...all but one new with tags
December 18, 9:48am

Kookabay sold
It just last night. Thanks for your inquiry.

December 18, 6:02am

Christmas Gear Closet Cleaning...Most new with tags!!!
Can't seem to get images to upload....may relist post later....if you are interested and would like pictures, please email me directly at jvance@swirecc.com Having taken inventory of the ite...

December 12, 9:56pm

Cats
As long as you remove the turntable...we wouldn't want to make the little buggers dizzy.

In Chaff » No Need to Pussy Foot Around This Problem
December 10, 2:46pm

Return policy
I attended a garage sale just a few weeks ago and the overwhelming numbers of bike racks and strollers was very interesting. Most appeared to have been used very little, say one vacation. I mad...

In GEAR » REI currently working on new return policies
November 14, 8:22am

All Reader Reviews by John Vance

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Chisos
This is from previous posts but I thought I would include it here as well. I received my Chisos with 2oz overfill and just wanted to update those waiting to hear a little more about my initial imp...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 06, 11:48am

Katabatic Gear Sawatch
I know I only have spent 4 nights using my Katabatic Sawatch, I wanted to get a review out for those interested that I have posted elsewhere on this site but not in the review area. I can say thi...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
June 10, 10:18am

Six Moon Designs Swift10
Now that I have some miles on my 2010 Swift I thought I would prepare a more thorough review. I have been using a 2006 SMD Starlight for the past few years and really love it coming from a brief stin...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 10, 10:09am

Kookabay Custom Down Air Mattress (DAM)
I recently my pad from Bender yesterday and have to say I am impressed. The seams and sealing is very consistent, straight, and even. My custom pad used the standard 70d fabric and is 24" wide, 6...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 22, 11:08am