BPL Community Profile

Stuart R (Scunnered) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Scotland
About Me "When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be."
Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) 1883

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stuart R

Showing 111 - 120 of 631 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...64

Forum » Thread

Re: topopirineos map
I also used the above map whilst walking in the Ordessa National Park this summer. It is vastly improved over an earlier version from a few years back. However I noticed the opposite issue from tha...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Pyrenean Traverse -- Logistics
September 02, 6:12am

Re: Alcohol Stoves Reconsidered
the difference between alcohol and canister is not really reflected fairly in your system To make a meanngful comparison of efficiency between alcohol and canister stoves, both have to run at th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alcohol Stoves Reconsidered
August 30, 2:08pm

Re: Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon Photo Essay
Beautiful, outstanding photos, until... I came to the photo which had great big foot holes chipped into the rockface. Am I the only one that thinks such damage to a beautiful natural feature ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon Photo Essay
August 30, 2:01pm

Re: Canister stove ignition options
2 mini bics (one as backup) They work fine up to at least 10,000ft but you may need an alternative above 15,000ft

In GEAR » Canister stove ignition options
August 23, 2:06pm

Re: Re: Windscreen overheating canister
Top hot and bottom cool Some guys prefer that way around and some the other way :-))

In GEAR » Windscreen overheating canister
August 23, 2:01pm

Re: Re: Re: he's gotten sloppy
David - many years ago I went to a lecture by an American guy about space optics. Anyway this guy had worked on Reagan's Star Wars project where they were trying out chemical lasers - hydrogen ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Evaluating what stoves to use for what lengths of trips
August 21, 3:02pm

Re: he's gotten sloppy
"do not attempt to prove things to confirm your existing bias" I think you failed on that score. To illustrate with just one point: "Simmering a lot? – Forget it, bring alcoh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Evaluating what stoves to use for what lengths of trips
August 21, 6:06am

Re: Re: GPS overestimates distance
I assume this is due to a slower speed having more data points than a faster speed??? With each data point comes an error, the error is compounded more. It depends on the recording algorithm you...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Difference between map and trail distance?
August 09, 3:00pm

GPS overestimates distance
The way to calculate distance is to take a GPS track, analyze it on your PC removing any bogus points like clouds where you stop or any side trips off the trail. GPS tracks over-estimate distanc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Difference between map and trail distance?
August 09, 1:47am

Re: Wow!
Diane - on a 4 day trip do you cook your breakfast on the first day and your eve. meal on the last day on your stove? If not, it is better to think of how many nights your trip lasts. 4 days = 3 b...

In GEAR » cannister stove questions
August 02, 2:01am

All Reader Reviews by Stuart R

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coleman Exponent Non-stick Cook Kit
At first glance this looks like just another anodised aluminium cook set, but on closer inspection you will find that these pots have a real standout feature. There is a spiral groove machined or stam...

In Cookware - Other
March 29, 12:43pm