BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 111 - 120 of 490 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...49

Forum » Thread

Re: Ultralight Meditation Shelter
Ronny, Good insights. I went down a similar path looking for my last shelter, except I'm 6'2" and wanted to read in the evenings and meditate in the mornings. That pointy peak probl...

In GEAR » Ultralight Meditation Shelter
March 20, 10:44pm

New fire starter: Titanium golf clubs
Titanium clubs can cause golf course fires Titanium alloy golf clubs can cause dangerous wildfires, according to UC Irvine scientists. When a club coated with the lightweight metal is swung and ...

In On the Web » New fire starter: Titanium golf clubs
March 20, 1:09pm

Recharging inReach SE with Energizer PP-3AAMC
I'm planning an 8-day trip without resupply, which is a few days longer than the internal battery on an inReach SE will last. So I bought an Energizer Instant Charger PP-3AAMC, currently on ...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
March 19, 9:37am

Hands on WFR incredibly valuable
I've taken more WFR and WFR recert courses than I can remember, from NOLS and non-NOLS providers. The hands-on part is the most valuable part of a WFR course. I know from experience, that...

In Other Activities » Wilderness First Responder Training Question
March 18, 8:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Syncing - Rex
Doug, Right you are. I was trying too hard, just removing the file enables future syncs to go smoothly. Grumble. -- Rex

March 16, 8:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Syncing
Error launching inReach Sync: Unrecognized element: userSettings (/Users/6wayxing/.local/share/inReach Sync.exe_Url_50c81f98e9eb1a9c52a83b1d3d25f899835f665e/user.config line 6) I recalled Jim&#...

March 16, 8:26pm

Whitewater scales
To paraphrase the famous George Box quote: Essentially, all whitewater scales are wrong, but some are useful. I've found the AWA International Scale of River Difficulty from I-VI to be a ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Learning to Packraft: Ten First Steps for Backcountry Travelers
March 14, 6:35pm

Re: American pilgrimage trails
Some American trails get pilgrimage-like action during "reenactments", where groups of people travel the trail together in pioneer fashion. For example, the Mormon Pioneer Trail sees f...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking and wild camping in Europe: Legal aspects
March 12, 10:57pm

Re: Acu-Rite thermometer: question
Speculation: Sometimes on clear nights (you said it was windy), thermometers out in the open can register the cold night sky more than the ambient temperature. That's one reason weather station...

In GEAR » Acu-Rite thermometer: question
March 12, 10:15pm

Great article; more tips for beginners
Ryan, Great introduction article! I have a few more tips for beginners, based on training hundreds of raft guides: - You will learn much faster if you are warm, dry(ish), well-fed, well-wa...

In Editor's Roundtable » Learning to Packraft: Ten First Steps for Backcountry Travelers
March 11, 10:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.