BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 111 - 120 of 414 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...42

Forum » Thread

Re: Emergency Flight Insurance?
Some medical insurance plans will cover "medically necessary" emergency flights. Might be worth checking your plan details, or asking your insurance agent. Some medical flight services...

In Other Activities » Emergency Flight Insurance?
December 03, 11:19pm

Re: Fall at Cache Creek
Great photos, thanks. I've been day hiking and whitewater rafting there, always had a great time Lots of wildlife in the spring, including one trip we saw dozens of eagles. Someday I&#...

In Post-Trip Reports » Fall at Cache Creek
December 01, 10:42pm

Re: Aluminum vs Titanium
Yeah, but titanium sounds cooler. The Soviets made submarines from titanium before titanium got cheap! Titanium is stronger, so you will get fewer dents and scratches. -- Rex

In GEAR » Olicamp Aluminum Mugs Rival Ti for Weight
November 30, 11:03pm

AquaSeal
Standard goop in the rafting community is McNett Aquaseal, for repairing, sealing, or reinforcing stuff like wetsuits, sandals, and wetsuit booties. I always have a tube in my raft repair kit. D...

In GEAR » Reinforcing the bottom of neoprene booties
November 30, 10:56pm

Re: Olicamp Aluminum Mugs Rival Ti for Weight
Also available from Amazon for about $13 for hard anodized: http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Anodized-Space-Saver-Handle/dp/B007S3N5PE/ with a few review comments on protruding interior rivets tha...

In GEAR » Olicamp Aluminum Mugs Rival Ti for Weight
November 30, 5:11pm

NYTimes: Who Made That Spork?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/magazine/who-made-that-spork.html The last time you picked up a “spork” — whether a plastic one for your fast-food meal or the titanium one you took on yo...

In On the Web » NYTimes: Who Made That Spork?
November 29, 9:41pm

Re: Now I'm trolling. [BioLite stoves]
BioLite stoves are a triumph of engineering and marketing over real usefulness. BioLite stoves generate 2 watts. You can get 4 watts from a single AA battery! The extra weight of a BioLite st...

In GEAR » Electric cooking in the wilderness – a rough analysis
November 29, 2:56pm

Maximum human-powered electric cooking
Wikipedia says: A trained cyclist can produce about 400 watts of mechanical power for an hour or more. You could boil 2 cups of water in about 13 minutes generating 400 watts of electricity.

November 29, 11:43am

Wind power!
The MiniWiz HyMini generator unfortunately has been discontinued. -- Rex

In GEAR » Alternative electronic gadget chargers
November 29, 11:37am

Re: Windup stove?
A small Freeplay hand-cranked generator weighs 310 grams and generates about 8.5 watts if the FreeCharge is cranked energetically enough. If you had 59 of these generators (and 59 people to ...

November 29, 9:41am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.