BPL Community Profile

Jeremy Pendrey (Pendrey) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale California
About Me I live in the San Francisco Bay Area with my wife and two children. I have hiked and backpacked throughout the state and beyond. I'm always looking to lighten my pack and lengthen the days and mileage of my trips. Favorite trips I've taken include thru-hikes of the John Muir Trail, High Sierra Trail, and Tahoe Rim Trail.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jeremy Pendrey

Showing 111 - 120 of 163 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forum » Thread

Tahoe Rim Trail Thru-hike
On July 2, 2009, Jay Wilkerson, Cameron Kennedy, Tony Wong and I embarked on a thru-hike of the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail, which encircles Lake Tahoe (Nevada/California). We started the trail at Ta...

In Post-Trip Reports » Tahoe Rim Trail Thru hike
July 12, 11:00am

Re: "My Tahoe Rim Trail Shelter Solution"
Thanks Ali. That's what I wanted to hear. Onward. I'll tell my wife you said I'll be fine :)

In GEAR » My Tahoe Rim Trail Shelter Solution
June 25, 1:54pm

Re: TRT Shelter Solution and Shoes-Sox
Maybe I'm just in denial, but I was not planning on any extra precautions. We are starting two weeks after those discussing conditions in this thread were there and we are doing the dry and cl...

June 25, 1:49pm

Re: when are you guys doing trt?
We are starting at Mt. Rose / Tahoe Meadows on 7/2 going clockwise.

June 25, 8:43am

TRT shelter
I'm going with my MLD poncho tarp and superlight bivy plus my new home made bug net (bag shape with hang loops on top - not pictured). that may or may not work well. Quote from TRT org websit...

June 24, 9:34pm

Re: Re: High Sierra Trail help
Doing it in 4 days is not for everyone, especially if you have to double that to get back. When I did it in 4 days I had packed food for 7 days and realize I could have slowed down to do some side...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Sierra Trail help
June 18, 11:45pm

Re: My first UL solo overnighter
I enjoyed your pics. Always amazing to connect with some wildlife, especially on solo trips. Redwood NP is not on I-5. It's on the coast. If you take I-5, you could go through Lassen. A ...

In Post-Trip Reports » My first UL solo overnighter
June 18, 9:39pm

Re: Re: High Sierra Trail help
If you have the time and are going extremely light, round trip may be a good idea. The trail is doable in 4 days. If it took you 3 days to get to Guitar Lake you could base camp for a whitney sum...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Sierra Trail help
June 18, 9:21pm

Re: Ideas for a 50 Miler in northern California?
Walter: I would NOT do Henry Coe in August. It will be dry and blazing hot. Your ideas are all good ones. PCT from Echo summit through Desolation up to Barker Pass or all the way to Tahoe Cit...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Ideas for a 50 Miler in northern California?
June 12, 3:22pm

Re: Re: Rangers in Emmigrant Backcountry
Ken: I can't make it this time, but thanks for the invite. Heading up to my Dad's with my kids for father's day that weekend. Have a good time though. Re rangers, Tony and I were ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » June BPL Hike & Post Apri?????
May 28, 10:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Jeremy Pendrey

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I have taken the FS Exodus on 2 trips this summer with very different circumstances. Both left me very happy with the FS. First, in July, I hiked 130 miles along the PCT in the Sierra. For this t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 27, 8:02pm

Vivo Barefoot Breatho Trail
NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR MINIMALIST SHOE WEARING HIKERS. ONLY CONSIDER THESE SHOES FOR BACKPACKING IF YOU WEAR BAREFOOT/MINIMALIST SHOES FULL TIME ALL THE TIME (NOT JUST HIKING) Wore a new pair o...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
July 30, 7:53pm

Mountain Laurel Designs
I have to add my two cents about MLD's service. Early this summer I damaged the bottom of my Exodus pack. The damage was completely my fault (sliding down granite). I wrote Ron and asked if he ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 17, 10:00pm

Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus
The Exodus is the new 2009 version of the MLD Zip pack. So far, I have taken it on 2 overnight trips and one 9 day trip. This is my first frameless pack, so I can't compare to others, but the pa...

In Backpacks - Frameless
July 26, 5:20pm

Nuun Active Hydration tabs
These are my new go-to electrolyte replacement solution. I used them in conjunction with Saltstick pills on a 9 day TRT thru-hike. Prior to that hike I had always had evening headaches and sometimes...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 26, 4:35pm

Mountain Laurel Designs Superlight
I agree with the first two reviewers that this is an excellent bivy to use with a tarp. It is extremely light (mine weighs in at 6 oz even not counting the stuff sack and cord that can be attached to...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
February 11, 9:17pm

Golite Ultra 20
I like this quilt but give it a 4 because the temperature rating is optimistic. I've used it once below freezing, and while I was fine, I had to layer up substantially. I used it on a mid-Septem...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 31, 2:21pm

Watchful Eye Designs Aloksak
There are other reviews on O.P. Saks/Aloksaks pertaining to the bear-can size and the food storage and protection issues those bags raise. This review concerns Aloksaks generally. The main problem w...

In Miscellaneous Products
June 21, 2:06pm

Jocalat bars (by Larabar) Chocolate
These are love 'em or hate 'em chocolate bars. I love them, but my kids hate them because they don't taste like typcial store bought chocolate bars. The bars are organic and vegan, so do...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
June 21, 12:48pm

Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat
I highly recommend this hat for sun protection. This hat is light (M=2.5 oz on my scale) and provides full sun coverage due to the long back and wide brim, which allows you to carry much less sunbloc...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
June 21, 12:07pm