Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Roan (JRoan) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Vegas
About Me Up high, with the ancient bristlecones, or deep in a slot canyon.
CityLas Vegas
StateNV
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.MountainUltraLight.com
My PDF Gear ListCouples 3 season list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Roan

Showing 111 - 120 of 206 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Best pack for a small woman
My wife uses a GG Miniposa and loves it. She's 5'2" tall and "short waisted" as the calls it. I can say that how she loads it makes a huge difference. Weight must be carr...

In GEAR » Best pack for a small woman
October 25, 8:25pm

Re: Quandry on how to... bivvy and tarp
John, I don't use a bivy, but also own a SpinnTwinn, and I string a cord at the peak from front to hang wet clothes, light, etc. from. I would think your bivy could hang from that peak cord....

In GEAR » Quandry on how to... bivvy and tarp
October 25, 5:57pm

cone shaped version of gasifier wood stove
I made several versions of this, but was never satisfied because all needed too much attention to keep burning. I finally settled on this copy cat version of a TD Caldera Ti-Tri Inferno, made from ...

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY BB aka Gasified Wood Stove
October 25, 4:29pm

Re: Working at going UL
I use the Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn tarp. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn-Twinn.html At about 9oz and $175 for a two person tarp, you have allot of options to pitch it a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Working at going UL
October 24, 5:30pm

Re: Re: Re: When do you wear boots?
When wearing my Boy Scout uniform as a Halloween costume.

In GEAR » When do you wear boots?
October 22, 8:22pm

Re: 3.35oz Woodburning Stove/Pot/Lid Combination"
Yes Franco, the Heineken can is very nice, and much more durable than the other similar sized cans without the ribs. The 0.7oz weight penalty for the inferno insert is definitely worth it, cons...

In Make Your Own Gear » 3.35oz Woodburning Stove/Pot/Lid Combination
October 18, 10:08am

3.35oz Woodburning Stove/Pot/Lid Combination
What's the old saying..."Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"? This project is just that, and my hat's off the the guys at Trail Designs for inspiring this project. It is b...

In Make Your Own Gear » 3.35oz Woodburning Stove/Pot/Lid Combination
October 17, 3:19pm

Re: Re: Down jackets vs. Primaloft
Yes, I always carry my Golite Ether. This too is not water proof, but I think what you are saying is that it would be another layer and help keep the moisture out?

In GEAR » Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket vs. Extremely Light Jacket
October 03, 7:57pm

Re: Re: Down jackets vs. Primaloft
Good point Todd...I don't hike in my insulation layer. If it were that cold, I assume I would need more than the Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka when I got to camp!

October 03, 7:27pm

Down jackets vs. Primaloft
I am considering purchasing a Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka for its weight savings over my REI Primaloft jacket (savings of about 7oz!). My concern is the possibility of getting the down wet. ...

October 03, 6:45pm

All Reader Reviews by John Roan

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
My rating is actually 4.5 out of 5 (not an option in the drop down box). I...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 19, 5:35pm

Trail Designs Ti-Tri Inferno
The guys at Trail Designs have built a reputation for themselves by providing innovative products and excellent customer service. Their Caldera Cone system was a revolution in UL wind screen/pot holde...

In Stoves - Other
August 21, 5:35pm