BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 111 - 120 of 430 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...43

Forum » Thread

Xtherm out in April
From Cascade Design................ "Due to intense demand for the Xlite, the Xtherm has been pushed back and will be tentatively released in April. The regular size will weight 15oz and al...

In GEAR » Thermarest NeoAir XTherm..R5.7..15oz?
January 09, 4:15pm

Mr. Rebates - How's it work?
Todd...I went to the mrrebates site and signed in. So how does it work exactly. I would use mrrabtes to order something on Backwoods? James....THANKS for the answer!

In Gear Deals » 20% off at Backwoods.com INCLUDING WM, + free shipping.
December 30, 9:23am

O Canada
Wonderful story..... What a great dad you are, Sunshine is very lucky. I'm sure your other Daughter will be wanting to make the hike too. I remember hiking for a few days with Wired in sou...

In Editor's Roundtable » O Canada!
December 21, 9:51am

Bookworm
I did some trail angeling this year on the PCT. I met a thru-hiker named 'Bookworm' at Stevens Pass in Washington State that carried a Kindle with him the entire way. It's obvius wher...

In GEAR » Kindle and Yogi's PCT handbook
December 16, 10:44am

Great Belt.....
Ben, I agree with Bradley too. The belt on the EXOS 58 is the most comfortable I've used in my 40 years of hiking. I wish it was a tad smaller though. I'm 5'9" and weigh 157 lb...

In GEAR » Talk me out of an Exos 58
December 16, 9:26am

Awesome Tent - Lightheart
Like many on this discussion I'm surprised this tent isn't talked about more often. I own the cuben solo with awning. It's the exact same tent that Francis has pictured. This tent is...

In GEAR » Kudos to Judy @ Lightheart Gear - SoLong 6
December 12, 2:50pm

Hikin Jim
Sorry I didn't answer earlier...I just now saw your question. Yes, the wire is as you described. I have no idea what it's for and I've never needed it.

In GEAR » Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests
November 30, 2:07pm

Love this Pack
First off I'm 5' 9" tall and weigh 158 lbs with a small 30" waist. I hear this pack fits thin people better, which I am. I used my EXOS 58 for 924 miles this summer along the PC...

In GEAR » Osprey EXOS 58??
November 16, 8:52am

Wow....real nice
Call me an idiot, but I'd never heard of Zimmerbuilt. I just looked at his site and I'm extremely impressed with the packs he's made. I really like the cuben fiber pack he made for Je...

In GEAR » ZimmerBuilt
November 15, 11:55am

Viewing Lukes Products
Click on......"Lukes Catalog" to view his products.

In Gear Deals » UL Rain shell and UL Gear
November 01, 9:25pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am