Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 111 - 120 of 451 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...46

Forum » Thread

RE: OR Section Hike
David, What time of the year are you planning t hike this section? That determines greatly what you'll need. I'll assume you'll be on the trail in August. I went through Oregon ...

In Gear Lists » OR section hike
March 15, 9:36am

Momentum Pathfinder II
I was looking at the Momentum site and also came upon the Pathfinder II. It has what I'm looking for. All I want is to tell time and set an alarm. I think it gors for around $160. David&#...

In GEAR » Analog Watch
March 13, 9:20am

Re: Anyone tried these weird baby crampons?
It says 'easy pull-on', but they also look "easy fall-off". I'm curious what keeps them from falling off the front of your shoe?

In GEAR » Anyone tried these weird baby crampons?
March 09, 9:17am

Just A Little More Practice
Dave, I have the exact same tent, with awning too. I can see that you didn't have the head and foot ends tight and in line with each other. I typically set it up and then go back to the he...

In GEAR » Just got a Lightheart Solo Cuben
March 07, 4:04pm

I see the Island
Now that you point it out I can see Alcatraz in the background. I've swam to shore three times from that island. The event is called the Shark Fest Swim.

In GEAR » How To Refresh DWR On Patagonia Houdini
March 07, 12:38pm

Zimmerbuilt.com
Chris Zimmer at zimmerbuilt.com and Joe at Zpack as stated above.

In GEAR » Need enterprising soul to make cuben fanny packs
March 02, 2:05pm

Great Piece of Gear
I love my Indie. It would be way to warm in the summer. I typically would wear it when I know it 55 F or below.

In GEAR » Ibex Indie Hoody users.
March 01, 12:16pm

Hitting Both Seattle Events
I'm hitting both Seattle events.....really looking forward to it!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics
February 27, 9:33am

Short Rainfly
The more I look at the tent, the more I seean issue that's always bugged me. I see on the 3P that they didn't bring the fly all the way to the gropund. I've always had problems with t...

In GEAR » Easton Kilo
February 27, 9:31am

Westcomb - $50 off any order over $350
I got this email on the 20th. So it's good til the 27th. I bought a jacket from them so I'm on thier email list. Dear Friends and fans, 2011 was has been a great year for Westcom...

In Gear Deals » Westcomb - $50 off any order over $350
February 21, 9:50am

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am