BPL Community Profile

David Gardner (GardnerOutdoorLD) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern California
About Me Long-time backpacker and ultralight fan. Day job as an attorney. Did civil and mechanical engineering before law school. Have a cottage business making super ultralight stoves, cook kits, trekking poles, polycryo tarp/tents and saws
CityPetaluma
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.GOLDGear.co

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Gardner

Showing 111 - 120 of 333 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: drilling hardened steel
"Trying to make the back edge of the blade into a knife is doomed to failure in most cases. Only the teeth are really hardened; the rest of the blade is relatively soft. This is deliberate and...

In GEAR » Ultralight Saws
November 27, 12:04am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultralight Saws
Justin, I'm considering a buck saw right now. Have some ideas I'd like to try out. It will have to wait until I finish the bow saw though.

November 26, 2:14pm

Re: Re: Ultralight Saws
James, Thanks for your comments and insights. Do you have any pictures of your modified Sven? I would be interested in seeing what you did to it. I can get about 75 lbs. of tension with my...

November 26, 12:17pm

Re: Drill Doctor
"On hardened steel, try to grind if possible, rather than drill" But how do you grind a hole or slot in the middle of something? Wish I knew how to do it. All my grinding experience ha...

November 25, 9:26pm

Re: Re: Double Thickness Polycryo
That is a fantastic price! It's $27 and change from Amazon. I just checked my local Walmart but they don't carry it, so I ordered a couple of kits on line at Walmart.com. Even at non-cleara...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
November 25, 3:22pm

Double Thickness Polycryo
Just found Duck brand polycryo in 7' x 10' size, 1.4 mils thick: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G801FVO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The kit says it's for ind...

In Make Your Own Gear » Polycro Tarp Tested!
November 25, 2:43pm

Re: 10.5 Pruning Blade
Derrick, I got the 10.5" saw blade from a generic hand-held pruning saw at Orchard Supply Hardware. The 15" blade I'm waiting to receive is a replacement blade Fiskars 9333 that I ...

November 25, 12:36pm

I like the blade-only-green-wood idea, but how do you cut the piece of green wood from the tree and the blade mounting slots in the end? I guess this would be a LNT (Leave No Trace) no-no.

November 25, 9:35am

Full disclosure, and a good price too.

November 25, 9:16am

For the pruning saw blade sheaths I use a combination of a report binder spine over the teeth, and thick card stock paper with duct tape reinforcement at the edges. Weight is .7 oz for both. For...

November 25, 8:57am

All Reader Reviews by David Gardner

David Gardner has posted no reviews.