BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 111 - 120 of 2558 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...256

Forum » Thread

Re: Shuttle from Anchorage/Palmer to Talkeetnas
Now that the school year has started, I need to put aside my uber-trail-angel activities. But maybe one of the other BPL Alaskans is free that day. Sounds like you already have arrangements to ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Shuttle from Anchorage/Palmer to Talkeetnas
August 26, 8:32pm

Light my fire
Piper: are you going to try to cook anything while there? Last year on Kauai, I found I could get 1-pound propane cylinders and Sterno in a hardware store or Walmart and sometimes butane for table...

In Philosophy & Technique » Travling light
August 26, 5:34pm

Re: Re: What Kind of Clothing
Bring one set of clothes and wash it at night. Whoever you meet doesn't know you wore the same thing yesterday. Whoever you are traveling with is stuck with you (and you with them) for the du...

August 26, 5:31pm

Re: Re: Question
What about gratuitous questions/answers that result in a bump? Like this one. Edited to add: **irony alert**

In Gear Swap » Bumping Not Allowed People
August 26, 1:44pm

Re: NOLS Rule of Thumb
>"His theory states that one energy mile is equal to the energy required to walk one mile on flat terrain. He also said that you need to add two energy miles for every 1000 feet of elevatio...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking Distance Estimates
August 26, 1:43pm

Rash guard for sun protection.
Sunburnt shoulders can ruin the rest of the trip, so I'd bring some kind of synthetic top. It could be a lightweight polypro top, it could be Duluth Trading's wicking version of their &quo...

August 26, 1:25pm

HX pots
As you cook for more people, you want a bigger pot (duh). When you have a bigger pot with more water/food in it, you wish you had a bigger burner. One way around that is to use a bigger pot with ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Group cooking
August 26, 12:56pm

"Equivalent Miles"
I've long used the concept of "equivalent miles" by taking horizontal miles and adding an addition mile for every 500 vertical feet (up AND down). For all non-USA/Liberia/Burma count...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking Distance Estimates
August 26, 11:44am

From the cover of Popular Science
>"Where do the pocket-sized hydrogen fuel cell units fit into this discussion?" While hydrogen-powered fuel cells have been feasible for decades - if you don't cool the hydrogen...

In GEAR » battery pack vs solar panel
August 26, 11:32am

Re: battery pack vs solar panel
I ordered a battery pack purported to be 11,000 mAH off of eBay and then tested it. Repeatedly. It was nowhere close. Instead of providing 4 iPhone charges, it gave somewhat more than 1. And fa...

In GEAR » battery pack vs solar panel
August 25, 9:05pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.