BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 111 - 120 of 2369 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...237

Forum » Thread

Re: Fire wood
I prefer a small pull saw. Less weight, effort and risk to cut through something compared to an axe. We have lots of spruce here so I target the low, dead branches still on the trees - 1/2" ...

In GEAR » Fire wood
April 09, 3:45pm

Re: Lures/ bait for trout
Great photo. Great technique (put the fish IN FRONT of the person, include some colors). For Rainbows in Sierra Lakes, the most successful fisherman I knew would start his day filling his mosqu...

In Fishing » Lures/ bait for trout
April 09, 3:33pm

Re: Thanks, all
>"@David - "Backpacking hot tub?"" The UC Berkeley annual "Gourmet Trip" has some rules - bring a gourmet dish, formal- or semi-formal dress for dinner and a &qu...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Need BPL's help with fondue
April 09, 10:44am

Re: Need BPL's help with fondue
You're all right - a double-boiler or steam bath is the way to do this. I met my wife on a gourmet backpacking trip. She brought a chocolate fondue (I brought ice cream sundaes cooled with dr...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Need BPL's help with fondue
April 09, 12:20am

Re: What headlamp do you use?
I like the Petzl E02 P2 e+LITE for a short trip when I don't plan to do any night hiking. Also, as a emergency light when I don't expect to need any light, or as a back-up (such as while c...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » What headlamp do you use?
April 09, 12:13am

Re: Re: Re: MYOG ice axe
help-arc = "Heli-arc" welded + Spell-correct. Many bicycle joints are made with larger diameter tubing at the junctions, with smaller diameter tubing inserted in and welded (or sometim...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG ice axe
April 06, 9:53pm

Practice, Practice, Practice
When you're sliding down the slope, you use the pointy pick end. The adze is just for step-cutting (and catholes) - which is really handy when needed and especially in a large party, the work ...

April 06, 5:06pm

Ether application
I don't know where you get your ether, but the cheap source would be an auto parts store selling it as "cold weather starting fluid". Maybe keep one of those at home. Radio Shack ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New allergy.....to tick bites.
April 06, 2:27pm

Re: MYOG ice axe
I haven't, but I have some thoughts about it. I'm not one of those who thinks "You have to have a UIAA-approved ice axe or you'll be committing suicide!" because I'd brin...

April 06, 2:22pm

Seeking medical advice
I'm married to a specialized MD (and she is adjunct facility for a medical school) and reasonably familiar about allergic / anaphylactic issues myself from my own and my family's history. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New allergy.....to tick bites.
April 05, 1:32pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.