Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 111 - 120 of 414 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...42

Forum » Thread

Re: spliitin' hairs - camera choice
"...or will you just view the final output on a PC or TV monitor. If the latter, the camera/sensor/lens is almost irrelevant. An simple 8mp camera phone is good enough now." In fact a ...

In Photography » Have some cameras picked, help me choose one
November 19, 8:14am

What camera to buy?
Useful links Eric. I'd add DxOmark as well - useful for comparing image quality. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php

In Photography » What Camera To Buy? - Flickr Photo Comparisons
November 18, 4:29pm

Have some cameras picked, help me choose one
Great picture, Eric. I'm shooting raw with the NEX 5 and exposing to the right and processing in Lightroom. I considered the NEX 3 but the NEX 5 felt more secure in my hands and I didn'...

November 18, 3:20pm

There's no poor "shot to shot" issue with the NEX 5 that I've noticed. Exposure compensation is available in the Program mode but not the iAuto mode - the whole point of the latte...

November 18, 1:59pm

The OP did also say "quality of photos". I think the NEX 5 is the smallest, lightest camera that can be used with a zoom lens and that will produce DSLR quality images. Of course there ar...

November 18, 1:07pm

The new micro systems/micro four thirds cameras that are smaller and lighter than DSLRs but have the same sized sensors are well worth considering. I have a Sony NEX 5 and the images have a better ...

November 18, 9:09am

Arm Gaiters
Have you seen Paramo Sleeves? Same idea, more insulation. http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXINSULATORLTSLEEVESTORRESUNISEX

In GEAR » Arm gaiters?
November 12, 9:30am

POE Ether Elite 6 2/3 Length Air Mat Product Review
I used the Ether Elite 2/3 on the Pacific Northwest Trail last summer. I used it in the GoLite Shangri-La 1 Nest and found it fine on that groundsheet. It's the most comfortable lightweight mat...

In Editor's Roundtable » POE Ether Elite 6 2/3 Length Air Mat Product Review
November 10, 8:31am

Wet Down vs. Synthetic Fill
Scotland has a very wet and stormy climate yet in over 30 years of backpacking here, including one 41/2 month long walk and many 2 week walks, I've never got a down bag more than slightly damp....

In GEAR » Wet Down vs. Synthetic Fill
July 12, 6:54pm

Winter Canister/Multifuel stove suggestions
Luke, I haven't tried the Fyrestorm with the Primus ETA pot (I must test that) but I doubt it would speed up snow melting very much. It would probably be more fuel efficient (I say probably bec...

In GEAR » Winter Canister/Multifuel stove suggestions
June 13, 8:08am

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.