Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Matthew Swierkowski (Berserker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me I've been backpacking for several years, and am not an ultralight guy...I'm probably teetering on the line between light weight and traditional. I normally carry 25 - 35 lbs (total weight including food and water). I typically go on 5 - 6 trips a year consisting of weekend trips with a longer (1 - 2 weeks) one mixed in there. I have been section hiking the AT since late '07, and am a quarter of the way through it. Other than the AT and local hikes I have also hiked in the Sierras and Southern Utah.
StateVA
My PDF Gear ListTypical Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 111 - 120 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Leki Super Makalu
I use the Leki Super Makalu Long AS poles. Been using them for about a month now (on a trip and on my daily training hikes), and I have no complaints. They are really nice, and help considerably ...

In GEAR » What is everyone using for Trekking Poles?
August 15, 11:25am

Got Tent
A close friend of mine ordered a tent from BSI this summer, and got it in fairly short order. His story starts off in that he orginally got burned last year when he tried to order one, waited ...

In GEAR » I'd Like to start a new BIG SKY (BS) thread.
August 06, 3:20pm

Paranoid...I use both
I'm going to preface this with the fact that I know this is overkill. I use a Katadyn Hiker filter and AM. I filter all my water and then I treat my drinking water (I carry two 2 liter Platys...

In GEAR » Aqua Mira vs Hiker filter
August 02, 11:13am

Smooth stick and racoons
A real man can undo it bare handed...just messing around. The chopstick idea is a great one. I was going to suggest just whittling a small branch down smooth while in camp for the same effect. I...

In Philosophy & Technique » PCT Food Hanging Method & Spectra 725
August 01, 10:51am

Re: Your Avatar
I finally got around to loading in an avatar. Mine is of myself standing on top of Shining Rock in SR Wilderness Area, NC taken by my buddy. No real significance to the pic other than this is pro...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Avatar
July 12, 11:29am

Re: Torso Pad for my 6'3" 220lb Frame?
I'm 6'-5" about 195 lbs, and I use a Thermarest Pro-lite 4 short. I also use a short piece of a cheap Wally World blue foam pad for my legs.

In GEAR » Torso Pad for my 6"3" 220lb Frame?
July 12, 11:07am

Re: Cocoon Pants - To buy or not to buy
I bought a pair, and have not yet used them so I cannot comment on their performance. I bought them for use around camp and with my sleep system so I can carry a lighter sleeping bag. I sleep ver...

In GEAR » Cocoon Pants - To buy or not to buy
July 10, 10:36am

Re: Pocket Rocket or Giga Power??
I own both stoves, and pretty much agree with the other posters comments who own both stoves. I have found that the Giga is better for simmering for the reason that it does not direct the flame to...

In GEAR » Pocket Rocket or Giga Power??
June 19, 10:45am

Re: What kind of scale do you use for weighing gear
I use a Pelouze 5 lb digital postal scale I got from Office Max or Office Depot or one of those type places for $25 a few years ago. It measures down to 1 gram. Like others here I just use someth...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What kind of scale do you use for weighing gear
June 06, 10:58am

Re: Anyone care to pimp their shorts?
Ex Officio shorts (not sure of the model). Light, airy, and they dry extremely fast if they get wet.

In GEAR » Anyone care to pimp their shorts?
June 01, 10:34am

All Reader Reviews by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Princeton Tec EOS
I’ve been using this headlamp (both the original and newer version) for years. The reviewers above pretty much covered everything with this headlamp, so I am not going to repeat all that. It’s light...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
March 02, 10:52am

Hilleberg Akto
I have used this tent many nights over the last few years. It has been my main inclement weather/winter tent, so it typically sees the worst weather I go out in. Well, let’s get right into this. ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 02, 10:50am

Tarptent Squall
I have been using this tent off and on for a few years now, and it has served me well. I use it as a solo tent. I have the original version in sil-nylon (the pre-Squall II version). I use trekking ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 02, 10:49am

Western Mountaineering Caribou
Since I bought this bag in 2004 (I think), this has probably been one of my most used pieces of gear. Being someone that does sound engineering on the side (as a hobby of sorts), I always feel that I...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 02, 10:47am