BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 111 - 120 of 11348 | Page: 1 ...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ...1135

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightning Strikes
Would the damage still have occurred? Maybe. Maybe not. There are not a lot of absolute laws when it comes to lightning. Sometimes the lightning strike hits a ground wire that is above the...

In GEAR » carbon fiber lightning
September 07, 7:08pm

Re: Meadow Fire
That is a very awkward place for firefighters since there are no roads in there. --B.G.--

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Meadow Fire
September 07, 6:38pm

Re: Backcountry touring ski upgrade
"As to plastic boots and touring..." For several seasons now I have been using Karhu 3-pin boots with vibram sole. They are relatively high-top for cross country boots, and they are ma...

In Winter Hiking » Backcountry touring ski upgrade
September 07, 6:34pm

Re: Rubber or other insulators
Jimmy, yes, it is the metal container that projects you. Read up on a Faraday Cage. It would be best to get to the center of the passenger compartment and the farthest away from the metal on the ou...

September 07, 5:23pm

A fish fry pan
Most trout that we run into in Sierra Nevada streams are under 12 inches long. Mostly more like 9-10 inches. That fish needs to be fried, so I have the olive oil, lemon, salt, and an adjustable but...

In GEAR » A fish fry pan
September 07, 5:18pm

Sean
Sean, in your photos, about number 15, it seems like a blue grouse. About where was that located? I have photographed them in Yosemite, but always north of the valley. --B.G.--

In Gear Lists » First Solo on JMT gear list
September 07, 5:03pm

Re: Eastern Sierra Gear Choice
Right this moment, I would go with the 30 degree bag. However, we are right on the edge of going into autumn weather, so things get unpredictable in a hurry. The 15 degree bag would not be stupid. ...

In GEAR » Eastern Sierra Gear Choice
September 07, 1:08pm

Re: Re: reading
For those who do not work in this field, I suggest you look for an isokeraunic map. This shows the frequency of lightning strikes for different geographical areas. For example, in the U.S., the wor...

September 07, 1:00pm

Re: Re: fishing poles
"jumping off a 200-foot cliff is worse than jumping off a 150-foot cliff." It gets about the same results. --B.G.--

September 07, 11:36am

Re: carbon fiber lightning
"Tent poles can be dangerous in a lightning storm." You've been watching Bear Grylls or something. Let's think about this. A lightning bolt is coming from a mile overhead, a...

September 06, 10:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.