BPL Community Profile

Bob Bankhead (wandering_bob) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon, USA
About Me Bob Bankhead has not added a biography yet.
CityLake Oswego
StateOR
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Bankhead

Showing 1091 - 1100 of 1288 | Page: 1 ...101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ...129

Forum » Thread

Bear Canister in Jam2
Always take "bear canister compatible" with a large grain of salt. WHICH bear canister was used to determine that? Probably the smallest - the Garcia can. YOUR bear canister may not fi...

In GEAR » Bear Canister in Jam2
January 26, 6:29pm

DIY Walking Axe
Any idea of the price range for one of these? I'm sure that would help to populate the "I'll take one" list with folks who'll actually pony up the bucks when the time comes.

In Make Your Own Gear » DIY Walking Axe
January 24, 5:59pm

Sierra Folks - What's your bear cannister of choice?"
Bearikade Expedition (the big one) I've hiked in Yosemite NP in August of 3 different years. Each year, I've had rangers check both my permit and my bear can. My pack is a 4200 cubic ...

In GEAR » Sierra Folks - What's your bear cannister of choice?
January 20, 8:29pm

Lean-to Tarp setup BEFORE rain hits"
The first article is what you asked for; the others supplement it. Tarp-shelters; same article – 2 formats http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.pdf http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm...

In GEAR » Lean-to Tarp setup BEFORE rain hits
January 19, 10:22am

What are your favorite trail info forums in the Northwest?"
Add in the Portland Hikers' Forum http://portlandhikers.com/forums/default.aspx Their web site is a lot more than just the forum, with a lot of trails and other info, but you did ask about ...

In On the Web » What are your favorite trail info forums in the Northeast and Northwest?
January 16, 8:48pm

MLD 2/3 XP Quilt
Adam's question is very valid. An insulating layer is a wise precaution in ANY season. I ALWAYS have one in my kit. Only the R value of it changes as the seasons do. Most folks have no idea...

In GEAR » MLD 2/3 XP Quilt...
January 16, 6:19pm

WM Highlite vs Summerlite
Have the best of both worlds - bag and/or quilt. Look at the WM Sycamore MF (formerly the Hooded Aspen). It's a semi-rectangular bag with a full side zip AND a full foot zip. Maximum ventilatio...

In GEAR » WM Highlite vs Summerlite
January 15, 12:26am

Bump Boxes
Do not confuse Bump Boxes (the more common name = Bounce Box) with a re-supply box. Bounce boxes are for those items that you will or may need at some indeterminate point on the trail AND which ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bump Boxes
January 10, 6:30pm

Aqua Mira vs Hiker filter
Here in the Pacific NW, it's AM all the way. PROs: It doesn't freeze It doesn't clog Cheap to replace CONs: It spills You cant see how much is left in the bottle Filter ...

In GEAR » Aqua Mira vs Hiker filter
January 09, 9:55am

Practical Backpacking: Does anyone use it?"
Franco - Sorry to hear you're leaving PB. Your experienced input has been invaluable and appreciated by most of us there. Unfortunately, with the on-set of winter, there seems to be an incr...

In Chaff » Practical Backpacking: Does anyone use it?
January 05, 9:04am

All Reader Reviews by Bob Bankhead

Showing 1 - 10 of 17 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering The Company
WM products are a 5+ WM the company does not sell direct, only through dealers, ergo end-user contacts would not be expected. Their printed catalogues do list their address and FAX and telephone nu...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 24, 3:33pm

Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
I use a lot of Mountain House Pro Packs and as much as I like the flavor and texture of this item, I avoid it like the plague. The overwhelming downside is the cheese they use. It does NOT rehydra...

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
October 05, 5:17pm

Mountain House Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice
One of my favorite Mountain House meals, albeit a tad too sweet for my taste; too much pineapple, not enough sour sauce. Nonetheless, it makes a great motivator to get to a dinner spot when I know one...

October 03, 6:26pm

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Bacon
I tried these several years ago when they first came out - no bacon in them then. They were horrible! Like a previous reviewer said, virtually flavorless yellow sponges. Last year I noticed they ha...

October 03, 6:21pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
I decided not to buy these when they first came out because fully closed they were too long to carry on my pack in checked baggage on the plane, and I really didn't want to hassel with the maili...

In Trekking Poles
September 24, 11:15pm

Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
I just returned from 22 nights in the high Sierra on the PCT and JMT. I had two days of constant high winds in Onion Valley, with sustained gusts to at least 50 mph. My trusty Gatewood Cape flapped a ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 24, 9:23am

Six Moon Designs Traveler backpack
We have TWO Traveler packs. Early in 2008, we were shopping for a new pack for my wife, who has a short 14-1/2 inch torso length. We drove out to Ron's house to try the SMD Essence, but it did not...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 06, 10:35am

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In addition to silnylon, Sea to Summit also now makes their Dry Sack line in eVENT fabric, both with and without compression capability. evac Dry Sack: available in 3, 5, 8, 13, 20, 35, and 65 lite...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 21, 9:08pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
This has been my "go-to" sleeping pad for many years on the PCT. I've tried a variety of others but keep returning to this little beauty. It does a great job of insulating one from th...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
May 17, 8:26am

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I have found them to be quite effective in the Sierras the past two summers. I have a Bearikade Expedition, and if you're not careful, the metal edges around the latches can slice an OP sak wh...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 21, 10:07pm