BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 1031 - 1034 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104

Forum » Thread

Re: wire handle?
no problem. The wire bail is above the wind screen and out of the heat. It takes only a twist of the bail to make it stand upright (and hold the lid on securely. Never had a burn. And believe me,...

In Make Your Own Gear » Alcohol Stove
September 16, 5:59pm

ultra alki boiler system
Esoteric stove designs aside, if you want a light, quick and effective boiler system, consider this one - a 2-oz solo kit-in-a can - or a 3.25 oz tandem kit -- tested with over 600 meals on the tra...

In Make Your Own Gear » Alcohol Stove
September 16, 2:38pm

What sewing machine?
Carol, Having made my own gear for 50 years using all kinds of machines, here's what I think: Keep it simple, and practice. Any home sewing machine that makes a lock stitch (as opposed to 'sur...

In Make Your Own Gear » What sewing machine to buy??
June 03, 5:32pm

catenary cut tarps: yes or no?
There are 2 reasons for catenary cut, leading to 2 outcomes. Reason 1 is to make ANY tarp set up tighter. Homebuilders use a mild catenary (1/8 to 1/4 inch per running foot) to make up for seams ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Flat Tarp vs. Catenary Tarp
March 18, 3:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm