BPL Community Profile

Mike W (skopeo) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale British Columbia
About Me I enjoy fly fishing, backpacking and hiking... and although my pace has slowed down a little over the years, I find that I'm not in such a hurry anymore anyway.
CountryCanada

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mike W

Showing 1031 - 1040 of 1108 | Page: 1 ...92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111

Forum » Thread

When have you gone too light?
The line that you cross when you go from sacrificing comfort to compromising personal safety is the cut-off point in my mind. I am a light weight backpacker that borders on UL. With me it’...

In Philosophy & Technique » When have you gone too light?
March 15, 12:28pm

Hiking In Cold Rain
What Roger describes is what I've experienced... When it's pouring rain and the air is really damp I always jump out of my bag and immediately stuff it into my dry sack before the bag co...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking In Cold Rain
March 14, 4:34pm

Why buy the Caldera Cone?

In GEAR » Why buy the Caldera Cone?
March 14, 2:03pm

Hiking In Cold Rain
I live in the same area as Brian and the potential for being really wet in our part of the country is assumed on any multi-day trip. As Brian mentioned, there is a big difference between enduring ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hiking In Cold Rain
March 13, 8:11pm

Virga...
There are a few variations of the Virga around so if you decide on a Virga make sure you check it out carefully. The one I have does not have handwarmer pockets (just one chest pocket) and wei...

In GEAR » Precip or Virga?
March 10, 4:27pm

Sleeping Pad Options...
I carry a Zotefoams Blue Foam Bum Pad (2.5 oz) that can be used in a frameless pack and goes under my legs when sleeping on my torso length pad. If you use this for pack structure you can still b...

In GEAR » best sleeping pad for:
March 09, 11:35am

Three Season Bag...
David - A couple of years ago I decided to go the two bag route... my heavier down bag was too warm for mid season trips even when opened and used as a quilt. I figured I'd buy a lighter ba...

In GEAR » What constitutes an ideal three season bag?
March 07, 10:51pm

UL Crowd...
If you walk into a gear store and announce to the staff that you are an Ultra Light Backpacker or even worse, walk in with a scale, then you deserve what you get. Did you really expect them to gat...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why people gotta hate on the UL crowd?
March 06, 1:12am

First Backpacking Trip...
Gregory, You didn't mention if she was already an experienced camper and hiker (car camping). If she's already used to sleeping on the ground in tents, the bugs, and long day hikes then...

In GEAR » First trip with new wife- what sleep system? also gear list for 6 days in Glacier
February 27, 1:42pm

Seeking proper fit shoe last!
See if you can find a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators to try on. They have a fairly roomy toe box and Vibram soles that handle rocky terrain really well. You pay a bit of a weight penalty for th...

In GEAR » Seeking proper fit shoe last!
February 24, 1:32am

All Reader Reviews by Mike W

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs Burn (2010)
I've had my MLD Burn for a while now and find it very easy to give this pack top marks in all categories. I was looking for a good weekend pack (2-3 day duration) and was having a tough time findi...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 19, 6:04pm