Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Andy F (AndyF) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Midwest/Midatlantic
About Me Andy F has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWet-cold winter

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andy F

Showing 1011 - 1020 of 1359 | Page: 1 ...93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ...136

Forum » Thread

Re: Why is my alcohol stove creating soot?
What's the Everclear proof? Lower proofs contain more water, which will cause more soot.

In GEAR » Why is my alcohol stove creating soot?
January 12, 11:19pm

Re: Pot handles vs pot gripper/lifter vs pot grabber/bandana
I only boil water in my Heine pot. I cook in a freezer bag or a 16 oz Ziploc bowl, which also serves as a drinking mug for hot drinks. I lift the pot with wool glove liners (don't try this with...

In GEAR » Pot handles vs pot gripper/lifter vs pot grabber/bandana
January 09, 9:33pm

Re: List Help
I'd add a pealess whistle. Keep it, compass, map, firesteel, and knife on person in case you're separated from your pack. A fixed-blade Mora knife/sheath weighs around 3 oz. Be sure t...

In Gear Lists » 3 Season List
January 08, 1:34pm

Re: Bivying Tarp-Free?
I did this a few times in my teens 'cause I was invincible then. :) The one time it rained, I was using: Clothing: 100% cotton shirt and pants, wool socks Sleeping bag: 3-5 lb 30F-rated sy...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bivying Tarp-Free?
January 07, 10:47am

Probably
I think that system will likely work down to 0F, as long as you keep in mind the unreliability of weather forecasts. What's your R-4 pad system? I think I'd shoot for at least R-5, idea...

In GEAR » Need Help with my Winter Sleep Setup for NorthEast Overnighters/ Trying to build a 0 degree setup using camp clothes and a 3-season quilt
January 07, 10:21am

Re: a few more rescues
Interesting accounts! Thanks for posting these Eric. It doesn't sound like anyone in any of these incidents had a whistle. I guess it's lucky for them that they were in an area where cel...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » a few more rescues
January 06, 10:39am

Re: boot vbl's
Josh, I like to start using VBL socks at around 22F. Experiment with what works best with your physiology, footwear, and hiking style/terrain.

In Winter Hiking » Snowshoeing in the Pacific NW
January 06, 8:33am

Re: BC touring ski setup for the Sierras...
I got a similar package from LL Bean a few years ago with the same equipment and NNN BC bindings. I'm a newbie skier and have no idea what the trails near Yosemite are like. I've been fa...

In Winter Hiking » BC touring ski setup for the Sierras...
January 05, 8:00am

Re: NikWax on wool
Eric, which Nikwax product do you use? Is it the wash-in DWR stuff (TxDirect)? They also have a wool wash.

In GEAR » NikWax on wool
January 03, 9:45am

Family Tent Recommendations
I have the Hogback and the SL3 (and a Scarp 2). I have the SL3 floor without the nest. I sewed a 17" netting skirt to the SL3, and it connects to the floor with velcro. It works, but it's ...

In GEAR » Family Tent Recommendations
December 29, 1:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Andy F

Andy F has posted no reviews.