Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 1001 - 1010 of 1071 | Page: 1 ...89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
Brad, Pad will get changed eventually as I said. Bag I'll keep for a while as I got a great deal and I'm not willing to spend the money on a bag that light to be honest. The pillow is my l...

In Gear Lists » GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
July 30, 1:19pm

Re: Heineken pot questions
> 24oz Heineken pot is 1 oz. Hadn't thought of going this direction. I know I wanted something a bit taller and smaller diameter to make measuring water easier, but I was leaning more tow...

July 30, 12:44pm

Re: The Big Three
James, As for big 3, I don't expect any change there anytime soon except to the neoair eventually as I know my current is very heavy (but it was only $50, too). As a side sleeper, I need the 2...

July 30, 12:32pm

GSMNP 7/09 gear list (first trip)
This likely won't show up well, but ought to be good enough. This was my first trip and I was going as lightweight as I'm able at this point (< 18 lbs base). I'm actually quite pleas...

July 30, 8:57am

GSMNP July 16-27, 2009
I recently got back from my first backpacking trip, covering 101 miles in the Smokies over 11 calendar days. It was filled with oddities (in my opinion) from my perhaps misconceived perceptions: N...

In Post-Trip Reports » GSMNP July 16-27, 2009
July 30, 8:35am

Re: Knobstone Trail (IN)
I'm looking forward to doing this trail sometime, but likely won't fit it in until next year. I just finished my first trip, which ended up being 101 miles in the Smokies.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Knobstone Trail Transportation
July 29, 2:07pm

Slide prevention for bag/pad on tent floor?
Is there any secret other finding a perfectly level spot to keep the pad/bag from sliding "downhill" (in a Lunar Duo)? I'm a side sleeper which takes his bag with him so straps wouldn...

In Philosophy & Technique » Slide prevention for bag/pad on tent floor?
July 29, 6:23am

Walmart trekking poles
Walmart has some AL ones with a flicklock mechanism. They weigh 21 oz so don't know how that compares with the BD or the AL thickness, etc. But they're only like $15/pole, too. I did manage...

In GEAR » So how about some...
July 29, 6:06am

What goes in your bear/rodent bag?
Another newbie question - outside my food and trash, all that was in my hang bag was new ziplocs (simply for convenience), my spoon and toothbrush and toothpaste. I only boil water so I don't h...

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes in your bear/rodent bag?
July 28, 8:55pm

What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
Just got back from my first major trip (Smokies) and was blessed to not get rained on during 11 days somehow. Thus, I didn't get a chance to see if I have any "bugs" in my packing sys...

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
July 28, 8:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.