Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 17 and 8 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 1001 - 1010 of 1063 | Page: 1 ...88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107

Forum » Thread

What goes in your bear/rodent bag?
Another newbie question - outside my food and trash, all that was in my hang bag was new ziplocs (simply for convenience), my spoon and toothbrush and toothpaste. I only boil water so I don't h...

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes in your bear/rodent bag?
July 28, 8:55pm

What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
Just got back from my first major trip (Smokies) and was blessed to not get rained on during 11 days somehow. Thus, I didn't get a chance to see if I have any "bugs" in my packing sys...

In Philosophy & Technique » What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?
July 28, 8:47pm

Re: Trowel?
> I feel like I can dig a hole with a stick. I wouldn't think that would work too well in frozen soil even with a large, pointy stick, but I suppose you've managed to make it work.

In GEAR » Trowel - which one?
July 06, 6:02pm

Trowel in frozen ground?
Curious what you use when the ground is snow-covered and/or frozen solid?

In GEAR » Trowel - which one?
July 06, 7:41am

GSMNP itinerary
This was my basic plan to maximize waterfalls/cascades, etc. on this trip. I took off Ramsay Cascades because that day was going to be a killer - there's no simple way to take your time, get lo...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » GSMNP, Pisgah NF, or Cherokee NF? (start 7/16)
June 25, 5:48am

Re: Re: Lightening Up Presentation for Scouts
> Color me very interested! Ditto. I'd recommend you just use sharebee.com to "store" it and let people download the file.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » How do you lighten up Adults
June 21, 12:07pm

Re: Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale
> I have to buy a new pack and possibly a new bag. She says I have to do that first. You might want to take advantage of the Golite 40% sale (good to 6/12 - search for the coupon codes) like ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Alps Mountaineering Spring Sale
June 07, 4:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
HYOH is the saying from what I'm learning. :) Anyway, another reason I was thinking of having 3 separate poles and just slipping them over the tripod legs each time was then I'd have som...

In Photography » Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
June 07, 11:36am

Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
That's impressive the legs will automatically flip out into position once you undo the holder. I would have thought it would only take maybe 3 seconds to screw the tripod on or off. It's...

June 07, 10:20am

Re: Re: Re: Sub-four oz. carbon fiber tripod
So each "leg" is 3 pieces of fibraplex? 2 longer ones get folded up and the shorter one has a tripod leg. That was one way I had considered. I also thought I'd just shock cord the pol...

June 06, 9:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.