BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 1001 - 1008 of 1008 | Page: 1 ...82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Forum » Thread

Walmart trekking poles / Jr Dome tent
Just got back from picking up poles for my son and I. Look pretty decent and aren't that heavy, but these are my first ones and will also hold up our new Lunar Duo. Much prefer the flicklock me...

In GEAR » Outdoor Products trekking poles at Walmart
April 30, 9:23am

Tent ordered / bear bag needed
Lunar Duo on the way. I really liked the freestanding ability of the Double Rainbow since we're used to that, but I really wanted the extra space of the LD. Now I'm off to find some poles a...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Father/son getting started
April 30, 7:18am

Re: Outdoor Products trekking poles at Walmart
The ones I see are twist lock. Maybe I need to go to the store in case there's a discrepancy with their website. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10928567 Edit: Neverm...

In GEAR » Outdoor Products trekking poles at Walmart
April 29, 7:10pm

Re: Father/Son Gear
Greg, We just had a camporee this past weekend. While I was not specifically looking for it, I really didn't see any lightweight gear in use. I'll be more in tune with what to look for in ...

April 29, 10:31am

Re: Father/son getting started
Doug, Thanks for the tent options to look at. Joe, I'm buying for myself (and son), but want to stay within BSA rules since we'll be using the stuff on Scout trips also so I should only ...

April 29, 8:58am

Re: Re: Father/son getting started
I understand the BSA system. I was Cubmaster the past 6 years (yes, before this son was a Cub Scout) and am now on the Committee for both Pack and Troop and ALL the current Troop leadership came up...

April 28, 9:49pm

REI / Campmor
REI Outlet actually is where I saw it. My understanding is REI and Campmor are 2 of the more inexpensive places to buy somewhat decent gear from that Scouts use a lot.

April 28, 3:39pm

Father/son getting started
My 11 year old has now moved from Cub into Boy Scouts. The Troop (and our family) has only done car camping previously and I'd like to do some backpacking with him and hopefully get the others ...

April 28, 2:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.