Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 101 - 110 of 1034 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Bear avoidance & cooking
Your precautions make sense in county where bears are habituated (read that "spoiled"). Except in the Smokies and Shenandoah, I have not had bear problems by following the simple expedie...

In Philosophy & Technique » bear avoidance & cooking
November 10, 10:35am

Re: Basic questions on Thru Hiking
You probably won't have to take heroic measures after the Ozark Highland Trail. Just a good shower and regular laundry will probably handle the funk if you are reasonably conscientious about pe...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Basic questions on Thru Hiking
November 03, 4:14pm

Re: Sealing urathine ripstop seems?
ShoeGoo, Amazing Goop and McNett Seam Grip are the same plastic with different viscosity, listed from thicker to thinner. In any case, thinner applications give better results - less likely to p...

In Make Your Own Gear » Sealing urathine ripstop seems?
November 03, 3:50pm

Re: MYOG tarptent in storm?
I've used silnylon tarps in gales that collapsed or destroyed expedition tents. Don't know about the tarptent, but, given a competent user, it should do OK.

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG tarptent in storm?
November 02, 1:06pm

Re: Re: Reading glasses
I'll third I4U lenses (i4ulenses.com). I've used them since 2003. They are about the lightest, most compact and durable reading glasses anywhere. I attach a string and an alligator clip and...

In Multiple Use Gear » Reading glasses
October 30, 2:54pm

Myog pack raft -what a cat!
That catamaran looks professional! Please explain the construction including the connection between the two hulls. The center wave can be reduced significanly if you toe-in the bows... IOW form ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG pack raft
October 29, 1:53pm

Re: Backpackers as Astronauts-Above Treeline
Jay, I know what you mean. It ain't called the High Lonesome for nothin'.

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpackers as astronauts
October 26, 5:07pm

Well, maybe Gaianauts
So-called 'wilderness survival experts' aside, wilderness visitors should leave no more trace of their sojourn than a ranger patrol in enemy territory. The only way to leave no trace is...

In Philosophy & Technique » Backpackers as astronauts
October 26, 4:54pm

Re: Golite Footwear
Made of used toilet tissue. Comfortable as house shoes and just as durable. I've had 2 pairs. Neither lasted longer than 70 miles on the AT.

In GEAR » Golite Footwear
October 26, 4:39pm

MYOG pack raft
Has anyone tried to MYOG a pack raft? I've played with ideas, but have not put scissors to fabric. Concept 1: uncoated pack cloth shell with oversized mylar, polyurethane, or cuben bladd...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG pack raft
October 25, 4:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm