BPL Community Profile

Michael Ray (topshot) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me Middle-aged father who got into backpacking late (2009) and wants to encourage his 16 and 7 year old sons to backpack lightweight. Video trip reports of all the adventures so far are on my YT site below.
StateIndiana
My Website URLhttp://www.youtube.com/user/topshotrhit
My PDF Gear ListMaroon Bells - August 2011

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Michael Ray

Showing 101 - 110 of 1011 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...102

Forum » Thread

Re: Can I get a copy of that map?
I had found this one in my searching, which seems to be an excerpt of the TI version, that barely covers everything in those Luke presented (I think).

In Pre-Trip Planning » Tips for Grayson Highlands with kids in early June?
March 13, 11:52am

Re: Why Humans Get Lost
Pretty amazing how he kept finding more stuff at the site on future visits. Also amazing he how got "lucky" on the Norman Cox find. Wonder if his latest hunch to find Bill in Joshua...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why Humans Get Lost
March 12, 7:38pm

Re: Cameras
My neurons don't seem to recall as well as David's or Ben's. I like to relive the trip and share with others. I'm fairly selective on what I'll take pics of but will admit I'...

In Philosophy & Technique » The "I don't get it" thread
March 11, 7:53am

Re: Windshirts
I think the main reason I haven't felt compelled to spend the money on one is that my normal hiking shirt (BPL Thorofare) pretty much acts like one. It's tightly woven so insects can't ...

March 11, 7:36am

Re: Heet vs canisters
> 12oz bottle of HEET is $5 on Amazon.. 12 boils 4oz canister of isobutane is $4.5-5.50 and is 15+ boils. never leaks, never spills, boils 1.5c of water in 3 minutes. That's some seriousl...

March 11, 7:29am

Re: over mitts
Cesar, I'm with you. The only time my hands were cold from rain, I just pulled the arms of my DriDucks over them. Maybe I need to hike in cold blowing rain more? Stephen, You're making...

March 09, 6:34pm

Re: hooded?
No. A pic can be seen in this thread

In Gear Swap » FS - JCP Puffy Jackets for COST + SHIPPING
March 09, 6:08pm

Re: Hiking Pants
> 13.5oz warm up pants (nylon outside, thin mesh inside) Cut out most or all of the mesh to reduce weight and dry time > they don't dry very fast and weigh a ton when they are wet ...

In GEAR » Hiking Pants
March 09, 3:21pm

Re: Zpacks or MLD Rain Mitts
FYI John Abela's recent blog on these

In GEAR » Zpacks or MLD Rain Mitts
March 09, 3:06pm

Re: Suggestions Please
I'd still try a few smaller loops, but there are decent trails all over the park. Do check the closures page though as several in the NW side are likely still closed from storm damage. Not sure...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help with Smokies Trip
March 09, 2:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Michael Ray

Michael Ray has posted no reviews.