BPL Community Profile

Gregory Stein (tauneutrino) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Upper Galilee
About Me I'm husband, dad, hiker, photographer and software engineer.
Born in Kazahstan
Moved to Israel at age of 17 alone
Served in IDF
Completed B.Sc degree at ORT Braude Academic College
Now work at Intel as SW Eng.

Hiked from age of 7 in Kazakhstan with my dad. Have inherited this love for outdoor and nature. Hiking a lot in Israel and in the world. :D
CityKarmiel
CountryIsrael

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gregory Stein

Showing 101 - 110 of 217 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Forum » Thread

Thanks!
Dan, the wire is in the lab now for the tests for platinum. When I'll get to it, I will continue and report. Yes I got it why you made a hole. Congrats on your success with the geek stove!

In GEAR » Alcohol Stove Users Only
March 03, 1:06pm

Nice to see it working.
Dan, what diameter of the wire in that lighter? Why did you punch the hole in the mesh of your stove? It gives more evaporation? Or have you distributed the fiberglass in the stove differently? ...

March 02, 10:35pm

WOW
Intriguing... Can't wait to see it. Will you post a video of it also?

March 02, 1:30pm

UL GPS
If I were you, I think some of the UL GPS units would be nice. Those without map, compass etc... Just show your coordinates. Smartphone? I don't use it in urban area (I like my Nokia 1280 for...

In GEAR » good hiking gps under $150
February 28, 12:48pm

Re: Using a shim?
Hi Kevin, Yes, I'm using a shim. Not optimal. Optimally you should cut some of the cone's bottom. You will gain: 0) lighter cone 1) it will take even less space in the pot 2) more e...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove
February 28, 9:05am

Another happy international StarLyte user
Hi, I'm amazed about efficiency of this stove. I'm too boiled 0.5L with 0.5 fl. oz of alcohol in windy conditions. The stove is so light and small! Tested it's unspillability - it...

In GEAR » Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove
February 28, 8:58am

Heating the wire
In order to check if that wire is really platinum: 0) weigh it in a lab (I can do it) 1) connect the wire to electricity (low voltage - battery?) and try to do the reaction again. 2) put one end...

February 28, 7:34am

Thicker wire
Guys, After some math, I concluded that in order to make same ratio of external wire area to its mass for 0.005 wire, you must flatten it by factor of 2 (2.2 more precisely). In this case you w...

February 28, 7:24am

Thanks for the input
Hi Nathan. Thank you for the answer. My primary goals: 0) As a barefoot/minimalist runner I want to be minimalist also on trail: - more natural way - increase strength of muscles that...

In GEAR » Running gear for backpacking
February 25, 6:14am

Great!
Thank you guys. The only thing keeping me away of switching to minimalis trail runners for hiking is the fact that when I hike I actually walk in a "heel strike" manner, but when I run I ...

In GEAR » Running gear for backpacking
February 24, 10:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Gregory Stein

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Fire Maple FMS-118
1) Overview: It's a lightest remote canister stove with wide bur...

In Stoves - Canister
May 28, 4:24pm