Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott S (sschloss1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New England
About Me Scott S has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott S

Showing 101 - 110 of 485 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...49

Forum » Thread

Re: PCT through hike list
Why not go with the Driducks? I used my O2 Rainshield jacket (made of similar material) the whole way. You might want a groundsheet to protect your tent floor from sharp or spiny things and to k...

In Gear Lists » PCT through hike list
March 03, 2:46pm

NAZ
There's a lot of great hiking in that area. If you're going to do more than a few hikes, I would suggest getting the book "Flagstaff Hikes" by the Mangums. It describes almost e...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Northern Arizona other than the canyon.
February 26, 9:43am

Re: SS1 Fly
And the opposite question: can you set up the SS2 inner under the SS1 fly? That SS1 inner looks really cramped for 2 people, especially with 3-season sleeping bags.

In GEAR » Tarptent SS1 as a tarp for 2
February 26, 7:01am

Minimalist shoes: avoid the hype
Just an FYI: aside from anecdote, there is zero scientific evidence that minimalist shoes prevent injury or improve your hiking experience in any way. (Even for running, the evidence is thin, pun ...

In GEAR » Running gear for backpacking
February 25, 6:45am

Re: Brooks Cascadia
@Max: the Brooks Cascadia and Pure Grit are totally different shoes. The Cascadias are a fairly traditional cushioned running shoe, and the Pure Grit are more minimalist with a low heel drop. T...

In GEAR » Hiking Boots
February 19, 8:09am

The best ITBS exercise
I've had ITBS a few times. If you browse running forums, you will find many ITBS sufferers, including me, swear by "Walt Reynolds' ITB special." The name sounds goofy, but doing...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Questions about knee pain.
February 19, 7:51am

Re: Gear List for a couple's *tentative* PCT 2013
A good list overall. A few quibbles: The FroggToggs/Driducks (I actually prefer O2 Rainshield myself) jackets should be fine. But I doubt that the pants will last the whole way. You can get a...

In Gear Lists » Gear List for a couple's *tentative* PCT 2013
February 14, 4:33pm

Pack
I have one of these packs, and I really like it. I use it for all my day hikes. Even with 2-3 L of water, the unpadded shoulder straps have never been a problem for me. I replaced the flimsy foa...

In GEAR » Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack
February 14, 10:13am

Google Earth or GIS
With a simple download, Google Earth will display USGS topo maps for the whole US. You can create routes on Google Earth, view elevation profiles, and even export the routes to GPS. See more here...

In GEAR » Mapping Software (TOPO state series discontinued)
February 13, 11:21am

@Andrew
Lots of chemicals have been banned for toxicity. The key question is how toxic it is and whether or not it bioaccumulates.

In GEAR » "Ultra Ever Dry" superhydrophic nanotechnology
February 09, 5:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott S

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I used an Exodus FS for my 5-month CDT thru-hike. The pack was, by far, my least favorite piece of gear. What I didn't like: - The pack squeaked loudly and persistently, with almost every ste...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 23, 5:07pm