Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Steve Meier (smeier) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Midwest
About Me I am in my late-40's and really got interested in backpacking about 10 years ago as a way to have some concentrated time with my boys, now all finishing up high school or in college. I try to get out a few times a year, including a bi-annual trip to Colorado for some of the big stuff. Otherwise I am stuck in the very boring midwest where everything exciting is a good day's drive away.
CityIndianapolis
StateIN
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListUL tarp-solo

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steve Meier

Showing 101 - 110 of 273 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...28

Forum » Thread

J or S straps?
I have both the Exos and Circuit and agree with most of the posters here: I would take the Circuit every time. What I didn't' see mentioned was the two shoulder harness options with ULA. ...

In GEAR » ULA Circuit vs Osprey Exsos 46
November 29, 9:32am

Fitbit
The Fitbits are pretty cool. Measures steps, distance and flights of steps and syncs wirelessly with their website. Doesn't measure heart rate. MapMyWalk is an awesome app that monitors dist...

In GEAR » Fitness Monitors?
November 28, 5:41pm

Zip?
Brad, does the netting zip off or to the side in this version? Also, does it have the foot box? Can't tell on their website on either of these questions.

In Gear Swap » FS: Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite Backpacker-Classic
November 26, 11:50am

When should I do the Narrows?
I've not hiked in the southwest and am looking at doing the Narrows in Zion. I would like to go late enough in the spring/summer that I don't need to wear a wetsuit but early enough that i...

In Pre-Trip Planning » When should I do the Narrows?
November 26, 5:44am

Yep, you're right
Yep, getting my mountains confused. We were on Flat Top in RMNP when we saw folks going up unprepared. Forgot it wasn't a 14'er but still was a big one for me, as I was new to hiking at t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 'Ill-equipped' hikers plucked by helicopter from North Shore mountains
November 20, 12:58pm

Borah is a good one
Chris, I had the Borah Bug Bivy and really liked it. I am 6', 245 lbs so I bought it in the long/wide and really loved the roominess of it. I sold it when I sold my Trailstar and regret both ...

In GEAR » Bug Bivies
November 20, 12:45pm

What are people thinking?
I remember coming down from Flatop Mountain, a 14'er in RMNP, and passing people in shorts and a t-shirt carrying only a water bottle in early afternoon. I was watching the clock to be sure we...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 'Ill-equipped' hikers plucked by helicopter from North Shore mountains
November 20, 9:48am

Try a Katabatic quilt
I've had a similar experience with the Revelation X quilt and believe it is due to a large amount of down shifting during the night. Several folks here have said they just simply re=shake the ...

In GEAR » CDT Sleep System Debate!
November 17, 6:23pm

ULA CDT in cuben
I ordered a ULA Circuit a couple of years ago and for the first time, got a pack that fit me perfectly. I have broad shoulders and the S straps feel custom made for me. So I ordered a CDT in cube...

In GEAR » ULA CDT in cuben
November 17, 1:28pm

On to Machu Piccu
I just knocked off #1 on my bucket list, summiting Kilimanjaro in September. What a great ride that was. I'll need to post some pics. Next on my life list is Machu Piccu with my wife and a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What would be your ultimate backpacking adventure?
November 08, 12:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Steve Meier

Steve Meier has posted no reviews.