BPL Community Profile

Stephen Komae (skomae) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale northeastern US
About Me Stephen Komae has not added a biography yet.
StateNew York

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Komae

Showing 101 - 110 of 272 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...28

Forum » Thread

REI Packable Fleet Running Jacket
I have it. While it is very good it also seems rather unexceptional. It deserves a hood. Very comfortable for active use. Wish the hem had an elastic cinch. Feels more durable than Houdini. The fit...

In GEAR » 2013 Spring Patagonia Houdini Pants / Jacket
January 16, 10:06pm

Re: My thoughts
Rick, I appreciate your well-reasoned analysis of my gear list. In the dead of summer I usually drop the Cap4. I could probably drop the Cap4 altogether but it is nice with a hard shell when it ...

In Gear Lists » 3-season gear for northeast USA
January 12, 11:06pm

3-season gear for northeast USA
My gear list essentially doesn't change once the snow melts until it starts snowing again. I'm thinking about swapping out the pack and tent for ones by Zpacks for a 4lb savings, but beside...

In Gear Lists » 3-season gear for northeast USA
January 10, 2:48pm

2013 Houdini
Based on the way REI clears old inventory quickly it's almost certainly the newer Houdini. Telltale signs of a newer model Houdini: very small pocket that's hard to stuff, and small zipp...

In GEAR » 2013 Spring Patagonia Houdini Pants / Jacket
January 07, 11:25pm

Waterproof zippers
Looks like a YKK Vislon Aquaguard or perhaps Aquaseal and a standard YKK Uretek coil zipper. Both are watertight as far as jacket zippers are concerned.

In GEAR » Winter Shell: Anorak v. Full Zip
January 07, 8:34pm

Bothy
If you are with one other person, or more, a correctly-sized bothy bag such as the offerings from Terra Nova or Integral Designs will be warm enough to sleep reasonably in mild winter weather weari...

In GEAR » Best emergency bivy/shelter for 3-season day use
January 06, 8:58pm

no need
As it turns out you almost never need a windproof balaclava for backpacking. Simply covering your skin with anything at all is sufficient in my experiences down to 5ºF with still winds. For me...

In GEAR » Merino buff vs windproof fleece balaclava?
January 05, 8:22pm

Houdini vs. Alpine Houdini
To my knowledge the Alpine Houdini (2014) does not replace the Houdini. It is simply a divergent line. The Alpine Houdini is meant to be ultralight rain and wind protection for climbers. The...

In GEAR » Alpine Houdini
January 03, 12:37pm

Black Rock Gear is better
Somehow I wound up with both. The Black Rock Gear one is far superior in nearly every way. It is more comfortable, lighter, and has a wicking fleece headband to make it cozier and more comforta...

In GEAR » Marge Simpson Down Beanie
January 02, 11:23pm

Glacier NP video
The four of us did Glacier last year in August. We drove from Denver (a long drive). This is a heavily edited video of our trip, should give you an idea of the conditions. At the end of the vide...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help me get ready for a summer trip to Glacier NP
January 02, 12:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Komae

Stephen Komae has posted no reviews.