BPL Community Profile

Richard Lyon (richardglyon) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Bridger Mountains
About Me I backback most frequently in the Rockies, and most often take three-day trips. Over the past fifteen years I've served as a Forest Service volunteer in Wyoming and Montana, doing trail maintenance. As I get older I'm always looking for ways to lighten my pack load but I'm far from ultralight. I especially like base camp trips, with day hikes from a fixed camp.
CityBozeman
StateMontana
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Lyon

Showing 101 - 110 of 802 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...81

Forum » Thread

Alpacka raft for sale
He's right - great price. The Yak's too small for me, and I really only need one raft, or I'd have grabbed it. Go for it, somebody.

In Gear Swap » FS 2007 Yukon Yak Aplacka Packraft - $625
June 05, 9:43pm

SW Montana hiking
Josh, Two good general books are Falcon Guides: Bill Schneider's Hiking Montana and Bill Cunningham's Wild Montana. Each has a section on the Darby/Missoula area. Richard

In Pre-Trip Planning » Hiking in Montana in the beginning of July
June 05, 7:36am

RIP Hysson
Mary, I'll be thinking of you and your loss. I still recall each canine companion who's now gone - first with regret but later with thanks for the unconditional love I received for many yea...

In Chaff » RIP, Hysson
May 31, 8:06am

Alpacka swap shop
Michael, Did you check the Swap Shop Forum on Alpacka's website?

In Gear Swap » WTB Alpacka Alpaca
May 30, 7:21am

PM sent
Katarina, PM sent on ##7, 9, and 10. Richard

In Gear Deals » Selling my stock of hand knitted beanies
May 29, 4:29pm

Bear Spray
Take it. However unlikely it is that you'll see a bear, if you do (1) you'll wish you had it and (2) the consequences might be disastrous. Worth a few ounces. And yes, I've backpacked i...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bear Spray in The Winds?
May 28, 9:04pm

Mosquitoes in YNP
I agree with the others on mosquitoes in the Park. A problem until late August at the earliest. You might also want to bring a headset if you plan to fish. Which you should, as that's salmon fl...

In GEAR » Tent advice: Yellowstone mosquitos in early July?
May 27, 2:22pm

Flies for backcountry fishing
Megan, I've only fished a couple of times in the California backcountry, but my limited experience was similar to what has been the general rule in the Rockies. Thanks to the altitude the ic...

In Fishing » Fishing in Northern California
May 21, 7:28am

Osprey Hornet
Megan - sent you an email. Cheers, Richard

In Gear Swap » WTB - Osprey Hornet 46 or Talon 44
May 17, 11:00am

Norwegian company
Maybe Bergans of Norway? If so, very high quality stuff.

In GEAR » Tall and Slim Softshell Hiking Pants
April 25, 7:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Lyon

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Introduction to Packrafting September 2009
A great way to spend three days, and a great course. Four instructors for eight students (difficult to improve on that ratio), all of them knowledgeable, friendly, and good at instructing. Great scen...

In 2 - BACKPACKING LIGHT WILDERNESS TREKKING SCHOOL
December 10, 9:45am

Nunatak Alpinist
I don't doubt what the other reviewers have said, and I'd be upset at not getting what I expected after paying custom prices. My experience has been just the opposite, however. I have sever...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 13, 8:30am

Feathered Friends Customer Service
FF's customer service has been exemplary. I've bought two bags and a down jacket over the years (and sale stuff for others) and the telephone reps have gone out of their way to help. Most rece...

November 07, 3:55pm

Mountain Gear
My only problems with Mountain Gear are website-related. I've had gear shipped to the wrong address and once or twice been unable to complete an order online. But it's easy to get a live (and ...

November 07, 3:45pm

Exped Downmat 7
Drawbacks - You need to inflate it with its bellows, and (1) the bellows will slip off the port for inflation very easily; (2) it's tough to close the port after inflating without losing some infl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
October 04, 9:37pm

Patagonia
Everything I've ever purchased from Patagonia has been high quality and functional, and I've been buying for years and years. On the few occasions when I've had a question or a problem, Cu...

July 31, 9:22am

Backcountry.com
Backcountry.com shows how customer service should be in the Internet era. A human being is easy to reach on orders and comes back with informed answers on technical questions. Free shipping on orders ...

March 31, 12:19pm

Rainy Pass (Gear Repair)
I have used Rainy Pass for repairs (torn mesh, zippers) and customization (adding windows to tents. Each time I have received knowledgable advice and an accurate (and reasonable) quote from a telephon...

March 31, 12:12pm

Wild Things Gear Customer Service
I don't doubt Joan's report - bad things occasionally happen even with great companies - but I'm surprised because my experience has been just the opposite. Latest experience is a good exa...

March 24, 1:57pm

SteepandCheap.Com SteepandCheap.Com
If you find something you need or just have to have the prices can't be beat. I recently skied with someone who works for backcountry.com (owns SAC) who said that its prices are lower than what an...

March 21, 1:44pm