Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 101 - 110 of 8620 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...862

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: The Better Angels of Our Nature
I was looking more at U.S. military deaths, so maybe not a complete picture. Definitely WW I and WW II were much worse than anything since. Pinkerton says: "between the late Middle Ages...

In Chaff » The basic math behind Christianity...
March 27, 9:11pm

The Better Angels of Our Nature
In the book "The Better Angels of Our Nature", Steven Pinker presents data that says violence has been steadily decreasing in the short and long term. One data that I can think of, not...

In Chaff » The basic math behind Christianity...
March 27, 7:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
"Once the majority of the population realizes that this problem isn't going away and that there's no real solution for it, there will be a real rush to get out" No, no, no,... ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra Snowpack 2015
March 27, 6:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: "To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket"
I went around Mt Hood last September with just a windshirt like jacket. Weather report said no rain. But that's unusual in Oregon and Washington

In Philosophy & Technique » To Rain Jacket ... or ... Not to Rain Jacket
March 27, 10:23am

Re: Snow level for southern Washington Cascades?
noaa snow model is pretty good http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?ql=station&zoom=&loc=46.177+N%2C+122.220+W&var=ssm_depth&dy=2015&dm=3&dd=27&dh=16&...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Snow level for southern Washington Cascades?
March 27, 10:21am

Re: Re: Re: Some new Tent ideas I have up on Kickstarter
"I should also mention that without a wind meter, it's a rare individual who doesn't guess windspeed wrong by almost a factor of two." yeah I have a wind meter and when it m...

In Gear Deals » Some new Tent ideas I have up on Kickstarter
March 27, 9:57am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Long-term water usage in California
you must not be the person that had a hernia, father gave him lottery ticket as gift, won $7 million you wouldn't be wasting your time posting here or, maybe you wouldn't be wasting y...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra Snowpack 2015
March 27, 9:22am

Re: Re: Synthetic Overquilt Temperature ratings
You don't need an overquilt above 22 F. Water just evaporates. For one thing, there's a boundary layer of air that has about 10 F temperature drop so inside your sleeping bag it's abo...

In GEAR » Synthetic Overquilt Temperature ratings
March 27, 8:33am

Re: anodising titanium
maybe heat titanium until it's some color, then quench in water? or oil? To make it harder. I just spray painted my titanium pot with black barbecue paint. On the bottom. The place whe...

In Make Your Own Gear » painting titanium
March 27, 8:27am

Re: GAC is dusty
Find some place to go where you don't have to drink agricultural run-off

In GEAR » Water filter for herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer?
March 27, 8:22am

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.