BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 101 - 110 of 7445 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...745

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: vestibules
It seems like that vestibule is not appropriate for that environment In an extreme alpine area, lots of wind That wind would blow into the vestibule and put excessive pressure on it Plus, ...

In GEAR » Tent vestibules and TENT VESTIBULES
September 09, 10:36am

Re: re: LNT
LNT is just hiker aesthetics. People don't want to go hiking and see trash all over. I'm into it. I always collect trash and carry it out. Rarely, a piece of trash will get away from ...

In Philosophy & Technique » LEAVE NO TRACE
September 09, 8:34am

Re: Re: Got a dog? Got a GoPro?
GoPro is a marketing genius People send in videos for free which are used for advertising They don't even have to pay for the advertising, it's posted on websites all over. News prog...

In Chaff » Got a dog? Got a GoPro?
September 09, 8:20am

Re: Heat Exchanger pot for melting snow
Roger's calculation is unfortunate. Whatever numbers you want to use, it's hard to make up for increased weight of hx pot with fuel savings. If you can decrease fuel usage so that only ...

In GEAR » Heat Exchanger pot for melting snow
September 09, 8:14am

Re: concerns
wildmedcenter said there was little evidence supporting squatting with feet close together that would be the last thing to try I'de just go back to sleep if I was in tent

In GEAR » carbon fiber lightning
September 07, 11:11am

Re: Re: First Solo JMT SOBO at age 64
Lost 12 lbs in 22 days... There's the weight of stuff in the intestines and water weight that confuses things a little. Probably didn't burn 12 pounds of body fat. I usually lose a...

In Post-Trip Reports » First Solo JMT SOBO at age 64
September 07, 8:23am

Re: carbon fiber lightning
"Tents do not provide adequate protection from lightning." is a good comment given that being in a car or building does give pretty good protection, so someone might think a tent would do...

September 07, 8:00am

Re: Re: carbon fiber lightning
Your source, which is my second source says "Tents do not provide adequate protection from lightning." but doesn't go into more detail. I think the best bet is to be in a building ...

September 06, 11:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extreme one day precipitation events increase
I thought you were a skeptic : ) The Southwest U.S. seems to be in drought, which could be related to increased CO2, but that area has had droughts in the past Increased CO2 may increase drou...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
September 06, 10:51pm

Re: carbon fiber lightning
All of the well known sources of info about lightning safety, for example http://www.nols.edu/nolspro/pdf/Lightning_Gookin_WRMC2010printmaster.pdf or http://www.wildmedcenter.com/uploads/5/9/8/2/59...

September 06, 10:35pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.