Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 101 - 110 of 821 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...83

Forum » Thread

short
Should you be concerned with 2 oz less down than spec'd? Absolutely! I would email him and ask if it got mixed up with another order or something. On your quilt that amount of 900 fill down ...

In GEAR » ounces of down = ?temp rating?
January 27, 1:18pm

for sale
Even cheaper direct from SD right now. $349.99 http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-474-cloud-15.aspx

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Designs Cloud 15 Review
January 25, 10:31am

Frozen shoes?
What do you plan on doing with your shoes when you sleep? It is pretty hard to put on frozen solid shoes which you will have if they get wet. You will be in snow I take it? Might think about placin...

In GEAR » layering footwear
January 25, 4:55am

Insotect Flow
I don't know that I buy into the design myself. http://www.insotect.com/insotectflow.php Depending on how often the flow gates are spaced I don't see that it uses much less baffle mat...

January 25, 4:46am

solid fabric
It is highly breathable, but not as much as mesh. I would love that for shoulder season or in sandy/windy places to keep out dirt and spindrift. I would rather see some upper mesh though in wetter ...

In GEAR » Big Agnes Slater Ul 2+
January 25, 4:28am

Won't break from humidity
There is not enough "water" in the air to fill the tubes. If the tubes are not filled with water freezing won't burst them. So I don't think it is possible to worry about a new un...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Freezing While Being Shipped
January 24, 6:20pm

Specs?
Why no spec chart? Yeah I guess we can go look at SD: http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-474-cloud-15.aspx Does it use a variable fill ratio, or is it an even amount of down front and back? S...

January 23, 1:06pm

sat phones
Dave and I carried one for a few years so that we could run the company from the field on week+ trips. They work best at high points like passes and such. If you are in canyons you can get signals ...

In GEAR » Experiences with satellite phones?
January 20, 7:08am

Ski pants?
"And then Roger could afford a shirt and some decent looking ski pants." Careful now. Rog probably made those pants...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 18, 12:43pm

XTherm noise
I really don't notice it. But in winter I usually have a pair of foam earplugs to use because the winter wind will keep me up at night. They do add a fraction of a gram though... ;-)

In GEAR » XTherm does the noise lessen later?
January 18, 12:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm