BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 101 - 110 of 605 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...61

Forum » Thread

Sitted pose
I don't remember the proper name of it but for hip flexors (heavily used when hiking up hill) I like the pose where you assume the position as if sitting in a chair with one leg crossed over th...

In Philosophy & Technique » Yoga poses for on the trail
March 26, 4:39pm

So many choices
I think the one caveat I have is you mentioned they need to be dog friendly. All of the really good stuff is Wilderness designated which means dogs on leash. Not sure if that qualifies for Dog fr...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Colorado in early July - San Juans?
March 26, 9:21am

Backup
I will be backup if the deal falls through.

In Gear Swap » FS Golite SL1
March 25, 5:58pm

Re: Re: Thorofare pants & shirt?
Perhaps something like the MH Canyon shirt which is a Nylon/Poly blend may provide the protection you need. I own one and have been generally pleased. http://www.rei.com/product/827765/mountain...

In GEAR » Thorofare pants & shirt?
March 22, 2:43pm

Re: Re: Thorofare pants & shirt?
I agree with Nick that I have experienced poor breathability with the thoroughfare shirt I own. It is one of the few shirts where I can actually feel the beads of sweat pop up and run down by back...

In GEAR » Thorofare pants & shirt?
March 22, 12:14pm

Re: Updated 2nd Summer UL List
If you are happy, that's what counts. You have 3-4 lbs you could save in your big 3 shelter/sleep/backpack but that gets pricey. But if you focus on just one, Shelter, you have huge weight sa...

In Gear Lists » Updated 2nd Summer UL List
March 22, 12:47am

Chemical Decomposition
I use a product called Gotta Go Waste Bags, however, I don't take the bags themselves just the package of powder they provide that contains enzymes and bacterial agents that speed decomposition...

In GEAR » Still going without tp?
March 21, 10:18am

Re: Favorite PackIt Gourmet Meals
Jump Start Fruit Smoothie (Berry flavor) is the best breakfast I have ever had. Gives me great long lasting energy with a good combination of Carbs/Protein/Fat. I can use cold water, shake and dr...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Your favorite meal from Packit?
March 07, 4:31pm

Re: Tenkara presentation in Boulder-March 18
Sorry to miss that. Hopefully it will be filmed and shared. I would be very interested to watch later.

In Fishing » Tenkara presentation in Boulder-March 18
March 07, 1:41pm

Re: Re: Re: Rain pants = Wind pants
Sounds like we are just using different terminology to mean the same thing. Wind Pants/Rain Pants. They should serve each purpose (shed wind and/or shed rain).

In GEAR » Houdini wind pants
March 07, 1:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm