Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 101 - 110 of 938 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...94

Forum » Thread

tight stiches
Having made quite a few packs with a machine that did only straight stitches, what I generally did was numerous rows of stitching, close to each other but not on top of each other. That was in the ...

In Make Your Own Gear » LOAD BEARING, STRAIGHT STITCH, SMALL SPACES
May 18, 9:24pm

Re: Beginner Sewing Strategies
First I made a stuff sack. then I made a daypack. I looked carefully at how gear in the shops was sewed and tried to imitate (harder now that some stuff is welded!). An old resource but good if you...

In Make Your Own Gear » Beginner Sewing Strategies
May 11, 5:55pm

Re: Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
I've heard of numerous failures of Piezo ignition at altitude. Haven't used one myself - I always use a mini-bic or equivalent. I have never had one fail, but I always carry two, one in the...

In GEAR » Do You Trust a Handheld Piezo Igniter?
May 11, 5:44pm

Re: Hwy 120 Is Open
Drove over the pass on the way back from the east side on Friday. There is still enough snow to ski at Dana Meadows - very little at Tuolumne. Looks like pretty much 9000 feet and above unless on t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hwy 120 Is Open
May 04, 5:53pm

Re: Metabolism vs Body Fat
I definitely used to run hotter as far as sitting still goes, when I was younger and my metabolism was going great guns. Probably typical. But since you have no choice in the matter the question is...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Metabolism vs Body Fat
April 23, 10:47pm

Re: Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts?
What I have done on a few pair of shells is to use flat elastic, and simply stretch the shell and elastic tight and sew a line down the middle of the elastic. Works fine, but downside is you have a...

In Make Your Own Gear » Advice on adding wristbands to rain mitts?
April 20, 10:37am

Sensors
In theory yes. Just keep in mind that it's not that precise a system. But if it says zero it will be close to it anyway. If you get close to the end of the month there may beamish measurements ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra's at end of april
April 16, 5:24pm

Re: Sierra's at end of april
Bear Lake from Crabtree - probably the road to crabtree won't be open yet. Nor to Gianelli. But 108 is open to Kennedy Meadows already, and you can most likely get up to the far end of Relief R...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra's at end of april
April 14, 7:23pm

Re: material/form factor of aluminum stays and framesheet
Tubing - stiffer for the same weight of metal, but harder to bend to suit your back. Flat bar stock - more flexible, more easily bent to suit your back. I have used flat bar stock for all my st...

In Make Your Own Gear » material/form factor of aluminum stays and framesheet
April 07, 7:20pm

Re: snow
I've been watching both the sensors and the manual measurements pretty closely as they get posted,(backcountry ski trip planning) and there is a clear trend toward higher percentages at higher ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » CA Drought and 2014 hiking season
April 01, 9:43pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.