Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 101 - 110 of 6953 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...696

Forum » Thread

Re: Perfect Days.
Lyrical, mystical, insightful ruminations on what it means to be alive. Leaving those who read in a reflective mood. Vintage Craig. Thank you.

In Post-Trip Reports » Perfect Days.
August 09, 4:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking to add protein to my backpacking diet
"If you're on the trail for 10-14 hours/day, might it not potentially be beneficial to be supplying some protein to the muscles during the day? Does it potentially spare muscle to repl...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Looking to add protein to my backpacking diet
August 08, 6:03pm

Re: Re: Re: My new backpacking Scotch bottle
" Looks extra nice next to a fabulous Japanese single malt, don't you think?" Which begs the question: Why don't they just create a special edition and sell it in those cool...

In GEAR » My new backpacking Scotch bottle
August 08, 5:22pm

Re: Debate
" All it would take is ditching the requirement to appear in a clown car," What else do you expect clowns to ride in? Actually, I'd love to see them all arrive riding those cute...

In Chaff » Can the GOP Sink Any Lower? Yes It Can!!
August 07, 7:39pm

Re: Re: Sweeping the Garden: Upper Kern Basin
"Powerful writing coming from such a deep place within you. Extremely moving - I want to be there NOW!" I was there, and still I was deeply moved when I read Craig's account. I...

In Post-Trip Reports » Upper Kern Basin, 2015.
August 07, 7:34pm

Re: Re: Looking to add protein to my backpacking diet
"PS - IMO, for practical purposes, the elevation effects on protein digestion/time of day stuff has a marginal effect, if any. Eat protein when you want it, when it's convenient, etc., and...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Looking to add protein to my backpacking diet
August 07, 7:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm back, what'd I miss?
"The whole "planning and talking gear is not a substitute for actually getting out"--true for my psyche at least. So I took a break to focus on other things." That rarest of ...

In Chaff » I'm back, what'd I miss?
August 05, 5:14pm

Re: Re: Storms
"University Pass looks like a challenge. A recent BPL TR got me thinking about how to add it to a possible loop. I'm hoping to go from Kearsarge Lakes, up the scree/talus toward University...

In Post-Trip Reports » Vidette Lakes-Center Basin via Kearsarge Pass 7/21-25
August 05, 4:51pm

Re: Re: Re: Looking to add protein to my backpacking diet
"I will try and eat most protein in camp in the morning and evening. How does that look?" I think you're in the ball park. From this point on it will be a matter of small adju...

August 05, 4:29pm

Re: Re: Re: I'm back, what'd I miss?
Ironic that BG was bounced for pointing out a word of prose mis-spelt. Welcome back!

In Chaff » I'm back, what'd I miss?
August 04, 8:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm