Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 101 - 110 of 6219 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...622

Forum » Thread

Re: Poles & Energy Expenditure
"Sharing exertion over more muscle groups This is where poles can shine, they reduce the intensity of exertion on legs. Poles functioning as movable hand rails certainly do that and they cer...

In Gear Lists » Yet Another PCT List
November 08, 5:21pm

Re: Re: New Feathered Friends Quilt
"I only watched it once but I couldn't tell how the zipper wouldn't leak warm air. What did I miss?" Picture getting up in the middle of the night to pee. How could it not lea...

In GEAR » New Feathered Friends Quilt
November 08, 5:16pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh Jerry!
"GOP will step on their own genitals for the next two years and Rosie O'Donnell will be our next president." Won't either. Oprah's gonna run and bring sanity back to B.S.A...

In Chaff » Oh Jerry!
November 08, 5:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Oh Jerry!
"I'm not really gloating since I'm not optimistic of the direction we are heading" Where do you think we're heading, now that the GOP controls Congress? And might it not b...

In Chaff » Oh Jerry!
November 07, 9:05pm

Re: Re: JMT 2014 8/12-8/25@Tom
"I haven't gotten around to writing my trip report, but here are a few photos that you might recognize." Tom, Glad to hear you finally made it out to the Sierra. Looking forwar...

In Photo Gallery » JMT 2014 8/12-8/25
November 07, 4:47pm

Re: Packrafting without a Good Map
Great work, Luke. You nailed it when the chips were down. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for posting.

In Editor's Roundtable » Packrafting without a Good Map
November 06, 9:37pm

Re: HL50
Duane. You might want to comparison shop at batteryjunction.com for batteries before buying. They have all the name brands for around $1.50 (plus or minus). http://search.batteryjunction.c...

In GEAR » Headlamp, battery combo to read with in winter and maybe some summer usage
November 06, 3:53pm

Re: RE: Largish Rattlesnake Encounter in Sierras
"While rock climbing in the Eight Mile Creek area in Washington state I had just dropped a sling down a slot in a large rock and was about to reach underneath to grab it and set up a belay, wh...

In Photo Gallery » Largish Rattlesnake Encounter in Sierras
November 06, 3:34pm

Re: Pad Help - Uncomfortable nights
"While I could as you mentioned purchase it from REI I hesitate to spend $170 on any pad regardless of how well I like it, call me cheap. However if I find a good deal on it I am open to givin...

In GEAR » Pad Help - Uncomfortable nights
November 05, 7:56pm

Re: Jerry And The GOP
Welcome to the BSA.

In Chaff » Oh Jerry!
November 05, 5:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm