BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 101 - 110 of 6039 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...604

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re
"A crook who, with the connivance of Russia, shot protestors in the head, thus prompting them to become even more extreme. And who fled before his situation was fully untenable, taking his emb...

In Chaff » The case for foreign policy restraint. ( not to be confused with isolationism)
August 15, 9:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ursack Approved by IGBC
"The real secret to any Bear proofing device is eliminating odor." A huge +1 Absolutely critical. Don't attract attention in the first place. simple as that.

In GEAR » Ursack Approved by IGBC
August 15, 8:52pm

Re: Locus Gear
" You should also check out Locus Gear CP3s. The grips are small. Excellent adjustable flip-lock carbon fiber poles" +1 By far the best lightweight poles I've ever used.

In GEAR » adjustable trekking poles with small (hand) grips
August 14, 8:22pm

Re: Re: Re: re
"Tom, that's a stretch. You simply can't equate Rapid Trident with ReForGer." Ah, Dean. I figured Rapid Trident would get a rise out of you. I'm not equating it with anyth...

In Chaff » The case for foreign policy restraint. ( not to be confused with isolationism)
August 14, 4:45pm

Re: re
" But ISIS formed in 2013 in Iraq." The seeds were planted with the overthrow of Saddam. And the idea has been around since al Qaeda. The minute we disenfranchised the Sunnis in Ir...

August 13, 8:22pm

I find it odd
that BPLers are so intently focused on what, to me, is relatively speaking a side show. What is unfolding in Ukraine, where there is an increasingly tense confrontation between two nuclear powers,...

August 13, 5:23pm

Re: isis
"ISIS is here now and gathering momentum...in large part thanks to the current regime's abject failure in the Middle East." Au contraire, Michael. In large part due to Bush's ...

August 13, 5:16pm

Re: head in the sand
"Obama's foreign policies have been an unmitigated disaster." We're actually close to agreeing, for a change, but you have to admit he inherited an equally unmitigated mess. S...

August 13, 5:02pm

Re: What is your favorite base layer?
"Does anyone out there have a favorite base layer they could recommend? And as a follow up, can you recommend a good source (and/or a time of year) to get a good deal on it?" Arcteryx ...

In GEAR » What is your favorite base layer?
August 12, 8:00pm

Re: Let the games begin! JMT
"One more day then I drive to Yosemite. Adventure Time!!" May the wind be at your back, Jay. Have a great hike, and we'll be looking forward to a TR and more of your great picture...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Let the games begin! JMT
August 10, 6:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm