BPL Community Profile

John Chan (ouroboros) - BPL Guest

My Locale John Chan hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me John Chan has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Chan

Showing 101 - 110 of 158 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Forum » Thread

perfect pack
I've been happy with my GG Virga. It might be a little on the heavier side (21 oz) but this pack has survived alot of 4th class scrambling (ie butt-slides) and its the perfect size for a 3-4 day l...

In GEAR » Perfect pack
October 24, 12:31pm

The ultimate "dream trek"?
Mine would be to trek atop the whole stretch of the Great Wall of China. From the China Sea to the Gobi desert. Maybe when China gradually opens up they will allow "thru-hikes" but for now we'll ...

In Chaff » The ultimate "dream trek"?
October 24, 10:47am

Re: Re: Survivorman in Temagami
The show could definitely be made better if Les had a cameraman. This whole idea of 1 man, 1 chance, no crew would sell alot better without the "no crew" aspect. Maybe if the show's producers...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Survivorman (not about UL... but interesting)
October 24, 10:39am

Survivorman in Temagami
I've watched the show and in ~50% of the episodes, Survivorman Les has to be "rescued" or doesn't technically "make it out". I found the episode where he plays out a crash landing of a plane in Te...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Survivorman (not about UL... but interesting)
October 23, 7:50am

GPS utility
I've found GPS to be a worthy addition to my gear list for several reasons: 1. I often hike alone and in class 4 terrain. I like the idea of having a GPS unit to tell me where I am (within 10 m...

In Editor's Roundtable » On Going Mapless in a Digital World: Engagement, Simplicity, and the Art of Real-Time Navigation
October 23, 7:33am

32 F rating ok if....
You cinch up the quilt "just so" where there is 0 airspace but you haven't compressed the loft. I own a semi-custom medium (cut for 67" stature) in microlight and 0.85. I've taken the bag down ...

In GEAR » Nunatak Arc Ghost Sleeping Bag REVIEW
October 23, 7:12am

Killarney 2005 UL trip report
I've compiled a photo album of my Killarney trip for all to view. All the photos were taken with a Panasonic LX1 in 16x9 cinemawide format. http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=53695...

In Post-Trip Reports » Killarney 2005 UL trip report
October 19, 1:01pm

LX1 initial impressions
Got the LX1 last week and put it through some paces during the Thanksgiving weekend. Here are my initial impressions. 1) Lens is 1st class. What you pay for in a modern Leica lens design (IMHO...

In Photography » The ultimate digital for UL control freaks?
October 11, 9:59am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quilts
Mark, I think the extra 5 oz is worth it... for the versatility. Often I find myself extending the hike past sundown and my intended campsite lacking in enough space to pitch the tarp. In th...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bivvy sack with Tarp Tents ?
October 05, 7:12am

Re: Re: Quilts
Mark, I was referring to a ground cover. Like Tyvek. A tyvek ground cover just sized for 1 person would be around 3-4 oz but the bivy (which doubles as a ground cover) weighs in at 6.2 oz. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bivvy sack with Tarp Tents ?
October 04, 6:45pm

All Reader Reviews by John Chan

Showing 1 - 10 of 15 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
This is now my preferred mode of tarping. After experimenting with cat-cut tarps, hammocks, tee-pee tarps, I have concluded that the most versatile configuration is the standard flat 8 x 10 silnylon ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 12, 9:41pm

Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec UL overbag (M)
I have used this bivy for 1 full season now. Compared to the BMW Vapor bivy this overbag has several plusses and minuses. The advantages 1. No stakeout points. This may seem counterintuitive, ...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
August 12, 9:33pm

MiniBullDesigns Trek 3
The MBD Trek 3 is the fully pressurized version of their original side-burner. There is no priming cup. You must add the denatured alcohol via small hole on top of the stove after unscrewing a wing-...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 09, 7:11am

Vargo 1.3 L Titanium Pot
Very well made item. On the bottom of the pot it says "made in Japan" which from the dimensions, suggests that its an Evernew pot without the pot handles. I'm not sure how long the non-stick surface...

In Cookware - Titanium
August 09, 6:59am

Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet 25/30
Recieved my MLD Prophet 30 the other day. Its a pretty simple design but will probably do what I envisioned it to: carry a UL 3-day summer kit. I had Ron make some small modifications to my pack lik...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 9:17am

Nunatak Skaha Plus
Recently took delivery on my much anticipated Skaha Plus down sweater. Two long, anxious months from concept to delivery but boy, was it worth it. I had Tom build a sweater in Quantum shell/ 0.8...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
December 24, 7:53pm

Golite Hex 3
I recently applied UL philosophies to group camping so I replaced my MH Trango 2 tent with a Golite Hex 3. This week, I took the Hex 3 on a planned circumnavigation of the 100 km LaCloche Silhouette ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 26, 5:09pm

Princeton Tech Aurora
Probably the best overall LED headtorch on the market. Ample light, ample light settings, great battery longevity.

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
November 08, 1:13pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Great primary pot for 1 or 2 if you are going to boil water and add. I have even used it for cooking rice (you'll need a pot cozy). I gave it a 4 because of the flimsy handles but I guess for UL coo...

In Cookware - Titanium
November 08, 1:11pm

Montane Featherlite
I've been using the Montane Featherlite Smock as a replacement for a bulky hardshell and its worked great so far. The Pertex fabric with DWR really does well in light precipitation and even in the oc...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 08, 10:34am