Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 101 - 110 of 5800 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...580

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Trowel
The San Jacinto and San Gorgonio Wilderness areas specifically require a "hand trowel for the burying of human waste." I have been checked many times for my wilderness permit, campfire pe...

In Gear Lists » Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015
May 16, 7:15pm

Re: Back at ya...
"Anyway, my point, like many others, is that I want my eVent parka to do double duty, knowing all the while that, when used as a wind shirt, I'll be wearing away the DWR finish that I so l...

In Multiple Use Gear » My "wind shirt" rant...
May 16, 6:34pm

Re: Re: Do you ever use a hip belt?
"I would never use a backpack weighing more than 15 pounds without a hip belt. Plus, I feel uncomfortable if there is no sternum strap." Agree.

In GEAR » Do you ever use a hip belt?
May 16, 6:22pm

Re: Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015
Jim, If I can offer a suggestion... Lay out all your gear. If you haven't used something in a year or more it may be a good candidate for retirement. Anything more than a few bandaids, a ...

In Gear Lists » Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015
May 16, 5:54pm

Re: Best western backpacking destinations
Someone once wrote: "Get a big-ass road atlas. A map of the entire state is preferred. Now look for large areas of land that have few roads on it. And if the road is designated “unpaved...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Best western backpacking destinations
May 16, 5:43pm

Re: Re: Co-op (REI) numbers.
Good stuff, folks. REI has been around for a long time and apparently is still going strong. Yes, they have changed, and their product mix has changed -- that is driven by consumer demand, and R...

In GEAR » Never buying from REI again
May 11, 9:54am

Re: What does "gentrification" mean?
This kind of threads come up periodically and then sometimes get heated. Over the years I have seen so many people willing to help out new backpackers, often spending considerable time referenci...

In GEAR » Gentrified?
May 11, 9:30am

Re: I'll try it out
Internal frame packs need to have the stays adjusted (bent) to match the curvature of your back. My packs required more adjustment than most people need due to the unusual curvature of my spine. Yo...

In GEAR » How should my backpack fit?
May 10, 10:21am

Re: Never posting on BPL again;-)
"Bet the sink's still leaking." Yes it is. She just old me she is taking the iPad away in 30 minutes and reported everything under the kitchen sink has been removed for my working ...

May 09, 12:48pm

Re: BPL not the same as it used to be
"I miss the old BPL too." I miss hiking up Whitney or on the JMT with no permits required. More people and unique problems. Perhaps here too. I just look past some things and focus on ...

May 09, 12:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am