Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 101 - 110 of 5517 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Someone canceled their paypal payment after item was sent.
"Thanks for writing. But if they buyer agrees to purchase the item even if they live on the other side of the planet and they know the item may not show up ; I think the risk should all be on ...

In Gear Swap » Someone canceled their paypal payment after item was sent.
October 07, 9:09pm

Re: Still Muddy
Here is what it looked like yesterday. Lake Mead is at the upper left of picture.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon Denied – Lessons Learned
October 07, 8:11pm

Re: Re: Re: price is SOLD
"Are you serious!? The gear swap on here is very active and useful. It saves me from buying retail and contributing to waste. Why would you want to get rid of it?" Yes, I am serious...

In Gear Swap » price is SOLD
September 26, 7:04am

Re: price is SOLD
Ah, another reason to get rid of gear swap.

In Gear Swap » price is SOLD
September 25, 11:11pm

Cost Factor
I have one of the early Whisperlites and a 40+ year old Svea 123. I still use them ocassionally. So the dollar cost average per year is pretty low. I have several canister stoves that are obsolete,...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 4 - Lessons Learnt
September 25, 11:08pm

Re: $1500 fee for "commercial" use in USFS wilderness lands
I quit posting in Chaff a long time ago because these kinds of things are making me go insane. So... USFS interprets the Wilderness Act to require a permit to film/photograph for commercial use...

In On the Web » $1500 fee for "commercial" use in USFS wilderness lands
September 25, 10:28pm

Re: Re: Pockets for Hyperlite Mountain Gear Packs
"Of course I agree with shaving ounces with your materials and design, but with all due respect I question that you use Nalgene bottles, which are heavy." Most trips I use Platys. When...

In Editor's Roundtable » Pockets for Hyperlite Mountain Gear Packs
September 25, 10:09pm

Re: Cactus spines
Yeah, really nothing to worry about unless you are sleep walking. The only shoes I've had spines go through the soles are cross-country racing flats. Kicking up a cholla cluster can be painf...

In GEAR » Footwear and Shelter in the Grand Canyon
September 25, 4:08pm

Re: Freezer
"Throw them in a bag and put in the freezer overnight, thaw the next day and the stink is gone! Old thru-hiker trick." Yeah, like the wife is going to allow that. A few years ago I ...

In GEAR » Post-Hike Stinky Shoes?
September 25, 9:25am

Re: Re: +1 on the REI Acme Schoeller
I've had a pair of these for years and they are my go to cold weather pants. REI also makes the Mistral pants which is a little thinner material. I have a couple pair of theses I bought years a...

In GEAR » winter pants suggestions?
September 25, 9:22am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am